Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine
Her True Life

Word Count: 1.4k

By the river, the girls got a good look at each other and their new dresses.

"You look like Mum," Lucy said to Susan. 

Lucy's dress was a pale blue, a little more complex than Melody's. Susan's was a shade of forest green, the same complexity as her sister's.

"Mum hasn't had a dress like this since before the war." Susan pointed back.

"Maybe you could bring her back one." Melody suggested.

Lucy loved the idea. "Yeah, a whole trunk full!"

Susan smiled and gave her sister a nod.

Melody looked at the clothes they hung up to dry. "What is your mother like?"

Lucy and Susan looked at her. "She's amazing!" Lucy gushed. "She does all she can for us, even when Dad's away. I know she didn't want to send us away, but she did what she knows is best for us. She always knows everything. She's really smart."

Melody smiled sadly at Lucy's words. She always knew how to describe people.

Susan notice her look was similar to one when she got the ring from Father Christmas. "Do you know your Mum?"

She shook her head, looking at the older girl. "No. It had always been just me and my dad." She shook her head again, replacing her look of sadness with a smile. "But enough of me. You're the ones who wanted to talk to me about something."

Lucy didn't fully understand why Melody was sad but ignored it since she seemed okay now. "You and Peter!" She exclaimed.

Melody furrowed her eyebrows, looking between the sisters. "What about us?" She asked innocently.

"Lu, you can't only say that." Susan looked from her sister to the other girl. "We see the way you two look at and act around each other," She explained.

She shook her head, the ghost of a smile tracing her lips. "There's nothing going on between us."

"Nothing yet!" Lucy said hopefully.

Melody tried to think of something to say as a remark but was suddenly splashed by water. "Lu!" She giggled, stepping into the river and splashing the girl back, 'accidentally' splashing her sister.

The girls played in the water for a moment longer before stepping out. 

"You better be careful, Melody, or else we'll have you get your tail back and then not help you dry off." Susan jokingly threatened as she went to grab the towel.

Melody laughed. "A very original threat I thought I'd never ever hear."

Their laughter was short-lived as a wolf came from behind the towel Susan was about to grab. The three girls scream, stumbling back away from it.

"Please don't try to run. We're tired." One wolf said as another emerged.

"And we'd prefer to kill you quickly." It joined in.

Susan threw the towel at the wolves, distracting them for the time being. She grabbed Lucy and Melody's hand after quickly grabbing her horn. She blew it as hard as she could as they climbed up the nearest tree.

Not before long, Peter came running over, wielding his sword. "Get back!" He pointed it at the wolves as he ran through the shallow river to where the girls were.