Chapter Three (II)

Chapter Three (II)
Something in the Wind

Word Count: 2.1k

The centaurs had taken the group to where the rest of the Narnians had gathered. By the time they got there, night had fallen.

No one took their time cutting into the Telmarine Prince. They shouted at him, calling him a liar and wanting to kill him. 

Melody stood off to the side, still wearing her hood and hiding her face. No one cared about her presence. They figured she was a nobody really.

Nikabrik joined in, even though he went on the journey with him. "All this horn proves is that they've stolen yet another thing from us!"

"I didn't steal anything."

A Minotaur spoke up. "Didn't steal anything? Shall we list the things the Telmarines have taken?"

Many people spoke up. The Telmarines took everything away from them - their home, land, freedoms, lives, everything.

"You would hold me accountable for all the crimes of my people?"

Nikabrik moved closer. "Accountable... And punishable." He had his hand on his weapon, ready to take care of the man before him. Hums of agreement came from some of the crowd.

Reepicheep scurried down from the rock he stood on. "Ha! That is rich coming from you, dwarf. Or have you forgotten it was your people who fought alongside the White Witch?"

He wasn't phased by the mouse. "And I'd gladly do it again," he paused, "if it would rid us of these barbarians."

For some reason, people agreed with him.

Melody had enough of this. The mention of the Witch had just made her angry. She pulled down her hood, stepping up beside Caspian. "Enough!" She called out, looking around at everyone.

Everything went silent as they looked at the girl.

"How dare any of you even think of serving the White Witch?" She was disgusted by the idea. "I saw the things she did. I fought against her. I watched as Aslan ended her." The mention of Aslan hit everyone a little differently. "And here you all are, saying you'd rather be led by her than someone right here, trying to help you. Here you are, letting what your ancestors died for be in vain. Caspian may be a Telmarine, but that doesn't mean he's like them. He wants to help, and I think we should listen to him."

She wasn't one for shaming people, but that's all she could do. She was just so mad.

Trufflehunter stepped forward to join in on what Melody was saying. "Some of you may have forgotten, but we badgers remember well. Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King."

She smiled, thinking back to Peter and Edmund as Kings of Narnia. While they didn't know anything about being royalty, they fit the part perfectly.

"I can help," Caspian spoke up. "Beyond these woods, I'm a prince. The Telmarine throne is rightfully mine! Help me claim it, and I can bring peace between us."

A centaur started to walk around. "It is true. The time is ripe. I watch the skies, for it is mine to watch as it is yours to remember, Badger. Tarva, the Lord of Victory, and Alambil, the Lady of Peace, have come together in the high heavens. And now, here, a son of Adam has come forth to offer us our freedom." He looked from Caspian to Melody, looking at the ring around her neck and on her hand. "One of which Lady Queen Melody, wife of High King Peter, believes in."