Chapter Two (II)

Chapter Two (II)
It's the Small Victories

Word Count: 2.0k

Seeing the satchel brought back memories that had wormed their way to the back of Melody's mind. She didn't realize until now that she had left her satchel on her horse, the day they returned. She carried it everywhere, so naturally, she took it with her on the hunt.

The three men in the room looked at her with looks of confusion. No one answered.

Melody walked closer to the table, eyes scanning the faces that were before her. "My satchel. Susan's horn. Where did you get them?" She repeated, looking towards the Telmarine that stood by the entrance.

"M-My professor." He studdered out, looking at her with an uncertain expression.

She reached to grab her satchel, but the dwarf snatched it before she could get to it. "Your satchel?" He asked, narrowing his eyes at her.

Caspian, Prince Caspian, moved closer as well, next to the badger.

Melody huffed a little, biting her lip. "Yes, my satchel."

"Don't flatter yourself like that." The dwarf shook his head, reaching inside and pulling out her journal. 

What the hell did he mean by that? She didn't know why, but she was getting angry by this dwarf. And she opened her mouth to speak her mind.

Only to be cut off by the Prince himself. "That is Lady Queen Melody's journal." He pointed towards it. "She hasn't been in Narnia for 1,300 years."

That last sentence was enough to make Melody fall back. It had been 1,300 years for them since they were last here?

Her mouth was agape for a moment. "It's really been that long...?" She quietly asked, mostly to herself.

The dwarf rolled his eyes. "Oh please. Tell us who you really are and what you're doing out here. You're obviously aren't a Telmarine."

Melody looked at all of them. "Melody. I'm Lady Queen Melody, the Pure."

The dwarf laughed at this. He really didn't believe her. 

"I swear I'm telling the truth!" She said, almost as if she was pleading for her life. Which was true in a way.

He dropped the journal to the table. "Prove it." He dared.

"Nikabrik..." The badger started to warn, but she could. She knew exactly how to prove it.

She reached behind her neck and took off her necklace before holding out the ring on it. She held it out to the badger, cause she didn't trust the dwarf. "Here's your proof."

He inspected the ring, freezing when he sees the engraving. Caspian moves to get a closer look at the ring.

Nikabrik furrowed his eyebrows at their expressions. "What is it, Trufflehunter?"

Caspian seemed to know exactly what it was and answered instead of the badger. "Isn't that the engagement ring King Peter gave Queen Melody?"

Melody could feel the smile at hearing Peter's name. "How would I have that ring if I wasn't her?"

Nikabrik rolled his eyes. "It could be a fake. Or you could have stolen it. It was one of the things that went missing when the Kings and Queens abandoned us."

That triggered something in her brain. "We didn't abandon you!" She practically snapped. "We didn't want to leave. We didn't have a choice." She calmed down a little, thinking about how bad she missed her home. "I never wanted to go..." She whispered, taking a seat that was right behind her.