Chapter Ten (II)

Chapter Ten (II)
River to Victory

Word Count: 1.4k

Peter didn't waste a second to go after the soldier that was close. He was taken care of in less than a minute. "Go!" He turned to Caspian.

All it took was one man for the Telmarines to start their attack. Catapults fired giant stone balls towards the How, implanting themselves in the ground. Some came too close to the people.

Melody twirled her staff in her hand as she used her other to grab Peter's.

He glanced at her, nodding as he squeezed her hand. As the Calvary was sent on their way, he started to speak to them. "One, two."

"Three, four." She continued

"Five, six." 

"Seven," Melody whispered as the Telmarines were fast approaching. While she tried to keep a facade of calmness and readiness, she couldn't help but notice the light shake of her staff. Peter could also feel this, so he squeezed her hand a little harder.

"Eight, nine." Reluctantly, they both let go of each other's hands. "Get ready!" He called out.

The ground below the Telmarines started to give out. Many fell into the pits that were created, while the rest had some logic to know to stop.

The archers let go of their arrows, showering the men who tried to get back up and fight. Some of these arrows prevented that from happening for a couple of them.

"Charge!" Peter ordered as Edmund jumped on his horse. 

Melody took a deep breath and ran towards the soldiers, Narnian's on all sides of her.

An unsuspecting soldier came out of the pit, drawing his sword and looking around. Melody came up behind him and stabbed him right in the shoulder before pulling her staff out and letting him fall.

She looked around, only to be knocked in the back and fall onto her stomach with a groan. She went to get on her hands and knees, but the soldier who hit her grabbed her bandaged arm. She cried out in pain, the wounds still relatively fresh.

He yanked her up, pressing his sword to her neck. "Where's your King now?" He spat, barely loud enough to be heard over the cries of war.

He tried to press the blade further against her skin but was stabbed right in the stomach. "Right here." Peter spat back, pulling his sword out.

She sighed as the grip on her arm fell and she looked at him. "Thank you..."

"Are you..." He got close to her, inspecting if she was hurt at all.

She shook her head and pushed him back a little. "Not now. We need to focus on fighting."

He sighed a little nodded, turning and running towards a soldier that was sneaking up on a faun.

Soon enough, the footsoldiers were starting their march over. Peter looked from Caspian to Susan, to Melody, before making a decision and raising his sword. "Back to the How!" 

Melody bent down to grab her staff before standing up just as fast. She followed Peter, running just behind him to their domain.

Just as some Narnian's made it to the opening, it started to collapse right on them.

Peter abruptly stopped, causing Melody to bump into him.

"Susan!" Melody cried out, seeing the girl fall. Trumpkin caught her, but she slipped from his grip onto a ledge not too far away.