Chapter Eleven (II)

Chapter Eleven
Goodbye Narnia, Our Forever Home

Word Count: 2.7k

Narnians never wanted anyone to be treated the way they have been. While they had despised the Telmarines for hundreds of years, they still helped lead them out of the river.

They needed to make their terms of surrender as well, of course.

Melody wanted to just go in the river and swim. She wanted to lay on her back and flip her fin. She came so close to doing so, too. If it wasn't for Peter.

Right before her feet even had the chance to hit the water, he had caught her arm and pulled her back. "No, you don't."

She sighs a little, looking up at him. "Why not? There's no other way to pass the river." She tried to reason. It was a terrible reason. 

Without a response, he picked her up bridal style and started to carry her through the river. "We don't have time to dry you off."

She rolled her eyes a little, slightly kicking her feet to make things a little more difficult for him. "I think you just wanted an excuse to pick me up."

He chuckles, looking at her. "I guess you'll never find out." As he said this, they had gotten to the other side. He set her down and they walked, hand in hand, over to Susan, Edmund, and Caspian. They were waiting for them in front of Lucy and Aslan.

The five of them kneeled, bowing their heads to the Great Lion.

"Rise, Kings and Queens of Narnia."

Peter, Edmund, and Susan all looked up before standing. Caspian and Melody stayed kneeled. A light tap from Peter told Melody to stand, and so she did.

She still didn't feel like a Queen of Narnia, though she knew she was.

"All of you." 

Caspian looked up but didn't move. "I do not think I am ready."

"It's for that very reason I know you are." Aslan always knew everything. He might have been gone for longer than the Kings and Queens, but he knew everything.

With that, he stood up.

Melody opened her mouth the say something but stopped at the sound of bagpipes. Behind Caspian and Peter, a group of mice where carrying Reepicheep on a makeshift stretcher.

Lucy rushed forward, taking out her healing cordial and crouching down before them. She poured a drop in his mouth, taking a step back as he started to wake.

He gasped, thanking her as he sat up. He stood up with the help of his little men, jumping once his eyes meet Aslan. "Oh! Hail, Aslan! It is a great honor to be in..." He went to give a bow, only to stumble and almost fall. He gasped again, this time noticing his tail was nothing but a nub.

He turned to face Aslan again, holding onto his backside. "I'm completely out of countenance. I must crave your indulgence for appearing in this unseemly fashion." He slowly backed up, looking to Lucy. "Uh, perhaps a drop more?"

She looked at the cordial in her hand, and then down at him. "I don't think it does that."

"You can have a go." He tried.

Aslan chuckled, calling the attention back towards him. "It becomes you well, small one."

"All the same, great King." Reepicheep pulled out his sword. "I regret that I must withdraw, for a tail is the honor and glory of a mouse."