9: Soulmate AU pt 1

*This chapter is a soulmate AU where on your 16th birthday you get to chat with your soulmate*

Juleka was nervous and excited all at once. It was 11 pm, an hour away from knowing her soulmate, as it was going to be her 16th birthday. Juleka went out of her room, going downstairs to make some hot chocolate. Her mother and brother were both already asleep so she did so quietly.

She boiled some water and looked on random websites until she heard a high pitched noise, meaning the water was done. She got a mug and made some hot chocolate, adding two white marshmallows. She upstairs with it, making sure not to spill it.

She checked the time. It was only 11:13. She sat up in her bed and read a book, occasionally taking sips from her hot chocolate. She checked the time on her phone. 11:46. Juleka was starting to become inpatient and finished the last of her hot chocolate.

She went downstairs and put her mug in the sink. 11:49. Juleka went back up to her room, grabbed a black marker and put it on her desk. She sat on her bed and waited, fidgeting with her fingers. 11:53. Come on already, just become 12, Juleka thought.

11:58. Shit, I didn't think this through, Juleka thought. What was she gonna say? What if her soulmate was upset Juleka was their soulmate? 12:00. Too late now. She saw pink writing across her arm beginning to take form.

ᴴᴱᴸᴸᴼ, ᴹᵞ ᴺᴬᴹᴱ ᴵˢ ᴿᴼˢᴱ. ᴵᵀ'ˢ ᴺᴵᶜᴱ ᵀᴼ ᴹᴱᴱᵀ ᵞᴼᵁ.

Oh crap, Juleka thought. It was Rose, she recognized it from the handwriting. Rose was her best friend and girl she'd been crushing on for awhile. She responded back, writing on her arm.

ʜᴇʟʟᴏ, ʀᴏsᴇ. ɪ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ᴛᴇʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴍʏ ɴᴀᴍᴇ ᴜɴғᴏʀᴛᴜɴᴀᴛᴇʟʏ, ᴘʟᴇᴀsᴇ ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴄᴀʟʟ ᴍᴇ ᴅᴀʀᴋ. ɪᴛ's ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ɴɪᴄᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴍᴇᴇᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀs ᴡᴇʟʟ.

ᴼᴷᴬᵞ, ᴰᴬᴿᴷ. ᵂᴴᴬᵀ ˢᵀᵁᶠᶠ ᴰᴼ ᵞᴼᵁ ᴸᴵᴷᴱ ᵀᴼ ᴰᴼ? ᴵ ᴸᴵᴷᴱ ᶜᴼᴸᴸᴱᶜᵀᴵᴺᴳ ᶠᴸᴼᵂᴱᴿˢ, ᵂᴿᴵᵀᴵᴺᴳ ˢᴼᴺᴳˢ ᴬᴺᴰ ˢᴵᴺᴳᴵᴺᴳ!

ᴛʜᴀᴛ ғɪʀsᴛ ʜᴏʙʙʏ's ᴘʀᴇᴛᴛʏ ɪʀᴏɴɪᴄ

ᴸᴼᴸ

ᴀɴʏᴡᴀʏs, ɪ ʟɪᴋᴇ ʀᴇᴀᴅɪɴɢ ʙᴏᴏᴋs, ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴀss ᴀɴᴅ ʟɪsᴛᴇɴɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ.

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ'ˢ ᵂᴱᴵᴿᴰ, ᵞᴼᵁ ˢᴼᵁᴺᴰ ᴸᴵᴷᴱ ᴹᵞ ᴮᴱˢᵀ ᶠᴿᴵᴱᴺᴰ ᴶᵁᴸᴱᴷᴬ! ᴮᵁᵀ ᴵ ᴰᴼᵁᴮᵀ ᴶᵁᴸᴱᴷᴬ'ˢ ᴹᵞ ˢᴼᵁᴸᴹᴬᵀᴱ.

Shit, shit, Juleka thought. Now she had to make sure she kept her identity even more secretive and mysterious now.

ᴏʜ. ᴛʜᴀᴛ's ᴋɪɴᴅᴀ ᴡᴇɪʀᴅ. sᴏ ʜᴏᴡ ᴡᴀs ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅᴀʏ ᴛᴏᴅᴀʏ, ʀᴏsᴇ?

ᴵᵀ ᵂᴬˢ ᴾᴿᴱᵀᵀᵞ ᴳᴼᴼᴰ. ᴵ ᴳᴼᵀ ᵀᴼ ᴴᴬᴺᴳ ᴼᵁᵀ ᵂᴵᵀᴴ ᴹᵞ ᴮᴱˢᵀ ᶠᴿᴵᴱᴺᴰ ᴶᵁᴸᴱᴷᴬ! ᴵ ᴮᴱᵀ ᵞᴼᵁ ᵀᵂᴼ ᵂᴼᵁᴸᴰ ᴳᴱᵀ ᴬᴸᴼᴺᴳ ᵂᴱᴸᴸ! ᴴᴼᵂ ᵂᴬˢ ᵞᴼᵁᴿˢ, ᴰᴬᴿᴷ?

ɪᴛ ᴡᴀs ᴘʀᴇᴛᴛʏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ. ɪ ᴋɪɴᴅᴀ ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴡᴀɪᴛᴇᴅ ᴀʟʟ ᴅᴀʏ ғᴏʀ 12:00 sᴏ ɪ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴍᴇᴇᴛ ᴍʏ sᴏᴜʟᴍᴀᴛᴇ. ᴍʏ ғᴀᴍɪʟʏ's ᴀʟʀᴇᴀᴅʏ ᴀsʟᴇᴇᴘ, ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴡᴀɴᴛᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ sᴇᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴍʏ sᴏᴜʟᴍᴀᴛᴇ ᴡᴀs.

ᴼᴴ ᴹ ˢᴼᴿᴿᵞ, ᴹᵞ ᴹᴼᴹ ˢᴬᵞˢ ᴵ ᴴᴬᵛᴱ ᵀᴼ ᴳᴼ ᵀᴼ ᴮᴱᴰ.ᴵ'ᴸᴸ ᶜᴴᴬᵀ ᵂᴵᵀᴴ ᵞᴼᵁ ᴹᴼᴿᴱ ᵀᴼᴹᴼᴿᴿᴼᵂ. ᴳᴼᴼᴰᴺᴵᴳᴴᵀ, ᴰᴬᴿᴷ!

ɢᴏᴏᴅɴɪɢʜᴛ, ʀᴏsᴇ. ɪ'ʟʟ ᴛᴀʟᴋ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏᴍᴏʀʀᴏᴡ.

Juleka went to bed that night excited as Rose was her actual soulmate. She had no idea when she was gonna say who she was to Rose, she figured she would might as well wing it.

Juleka woke up the next morning, putting on a long-sleeved shirt so she could chat with her soulmate and ate breakfast and packed her things quickly so she could talk to Rose via their markers.

ɢᴏᴏᴅ ᴍᴏʀɴɪɴɢ, ʀᴏsᴇ.

ᴳᴼᴼᴰ ᴹᴼᴿᴺᴵᴺᴳ, ᴰᴬᴿᴷ! ᴴᴼᵂ ᴬᴿᴱ ᵞᴼᵁ?

ɪ'ᴍ ᴘʀᴇᴛᴛʏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ, ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ʏᴏᴜ?

ᴳᴼᴼᴰ, ᴮᵁᵀ ᴺᴼᵂ ᴵ'ᴹ ᴳᴿᴱᴬᵀ ˢᴵᴺᶜᴱ ᵂᴱ'ᴿᴱ ᵀᴬᴸᴷᴵᴺᴳ!

Juleka blushed at that and quickly scribbled out a reply.

ᴍᴀɴ, ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛ ɪ ᴡᴀs sᴍᴏᴏᴛʜ.

ᴼᴴ ᶜᴿᴬᴾ ᴵ ᴺᴱᴱᴰ ᵀᴼ ᴳᴼ ᵀᴼ ˢᶜᴴᴼᴼᴸ ᴺᴼᵂ. ᴮᵞᴱ!

sᴏ ᴅᴏ ɪ. ᴛᴀʟᴋ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴀᴛᴇʀ.

Juleka walked to school that day as she had some extra time. She was listening to music and got extremely startled when she heard a high-pitched voice say "Happy birthday, Juleka!" Juleka looked next to her and saw Rose next to her.

"Oh, thanks. Happy birthday to you too, Rosie," Juleka said in her usual mumble. "Did you get to see who your soulmate is yet?" Rose asked excitedly. "Yeah, they're really cool. What about you?" Juleka asked. "Well, they told me to call them 'Dark'," Rose said, making quotation marks. "But they seem like you, Jules. I think you'll be friends." Oh if only you knew, Juleka thought.

Rose gushed on about how mysterious her soulmate was the entire walk to school. Juleka nodded and interjected at some points, but mainly stayed quiet while Rose talked, a normal occurrence between the two of them.

When they walked into Ms. Bustier's class everyone wished them both a happy birthday, except Chloe of course. During the next class they had different teachers so they parted ways. Juleka gave up on trying to pay attention to math and wrote to Rose.

ɪ'ᴍ ɢɪᴠɪɴɢ ᴜᴘ ʟᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ ʀɪɢʜᴛ ɴᴏᴡ, sᴏ ɪ'ᴍ ᴊᴜsᴛ ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ᴛᴀʟᴋ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜ.

ˢᴬᴹᴱ ᴴᴱᴿᴱ. ᴾᴴᵞˢᴵᶜˢ ᴵˢ ᴷᴵᴺᴰᴬ ᴮᴼᴿᴵᴺᴳ. ˢᶜᴿᴬᵀᶜᴴ ᵀᴴᴬᵀ, ᴿᴱᴬᴸᴸᵞ ᴮᴼᴿᴵᴺᴳ.

ɪ ɢᴇᴛ ʏᴏᴜ, ʀᴏsᴇ. ᴍᴀᴛʜ ɪs sᴏ ғʀᴇᴀᴋɪɴɢ ʙᴏʀɪɴɢ.

ᵂᴴᴬᵀ ˢᶜᴴᴼᴼᴸ ᴰᴼ ᵞᴼᵁ ᴳᴼ ᵀᴼ ᴬᴺᵞᵂᴬᵞˢ? ᴵ ᴳᴼ ᵀᴼ ᶠᴿᴬᴺᶜᴼᴵˢᴱ ᴰᵁᴾᴼᴺᵀ ᴴᴵᴳᴴ ˢᶜᴴᴼᴼᴸ.ᵂᴴᴬᵀ ᴬᴮᴼᵁᵀ ᵞᴼᵁ?

ɪ'ᴍ sᴏʀʀʏ ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ᴛᴇʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡʜᴀᴛ sᴄʜᴏᴏʟ ɪ ɢᴏ ᴛᴏ.

ᵂᴴᵞ?

ɪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴡʜᴏ ɪ ᴀᴍ ʀɪɢʜᴛ ɴᴏᴡ.

Juleka felt the anxiety sinking in as she wrote that. She knew she had to tell Rose it was her, but for now she'd remain anonymous. Besides, Rose was gonna be disappointed when she realized her soulmate was Juleka anyways.

ᴼᴴ ᶜᴿᴬᴾ ᴵ ᴴᴬᵛᴱ ᵀᴼ ᴬᶜᵀᵁᴬᴸᴸᵞ ᴾᴬᵞ ᴬᵀᵀᴱᴺᵀᴵᴼᴺ ᴺᴼᵂ :( ᴮᵞᴱ, ᴰᴬᴿᴷ! ᴵ'ᴸᴸ ᵀᴬᴸᴷ ᵂᴵᵀᴴ ᵞᴼᵁ ᴸᴬᵀᴱᴿ.

ʙʏᴇ ʀᴏsᴇ.

During lunch, Rose was talking about her soulmate with Alya, Marinette, Mylène and Alix, with Juleka sitting right next to her. "They said they wanna be called 'Dark', and won't even tell me what school they're in! I wonder why," Rose exclaimed. Alix shrugged. "I don't ever wanna deal with that. Soulmates and stuff seems so annoying. Besides, I'll never have any time for anyone with all the sports I got going on," Alix said.

"Hm, maybe we should try to figure out who it is," Alya said after swallowing a bite of her sandwich. "Sure, let's meet at my place after school," Rose said and everyone agreed, including a reluctant Juleka.

A/N: Hello everyone, I know this chapter is longer but it's because I thought I would only have to write one chapter for this one shot, but it might take 2 or 3 more chapters instead. Have a good day/night and goodbye!