26: Mermaid AU

Rose Lavillant was a mermaid since the moment she was born. It was actually pretty fun to be one, other than the fact that unless she had special gear, going up on the mainland was next to impossible for her without dying.

Anyways, Rose's best friend was a vampire. Her name was Juleka Couffaine, and she got bitten as a child while walking through a forest. People teased the both of them, but they always got through it together.

They may or may not both liked each other without the other knowing, which occasionally led to awkwardness and oftentimes extreme blushing, but hey, that's just what happens when two best friends have secret crushes on each other.

It was a long time ago when they first met. Maybe even ten years ago. Juleka was near the ocean Rose resided in, crying about why she had to be a vampire. She did look slightly ridiculous, mainly because she had a huge umbrella over her.

"Hey, are you otay?" A bubbly voice said. A Juleka that was four or five looked up and stared at her slightly. Even then, Juleka's hair was long and in her face. Not purple yet, however.

Juleka then realized she had to respond. "Uh, I'm fine," she mumbled.

Luckily for Rose, she had better hearing than a human, and didn't ask for her to speak up. "Wait, don't leave, gimme a sec," she said, going into the ocean quickly.

What the? Juleka thought, but stayed sitting there nonetheless.

After a few minutes, she was back, and got out of the ocean.

Juleka raised an eyebrow, as this small blond girl was moving closer to her.

"My name's Wose. What's youw name?" Rose asked, sitting in the sand in front of Juleka.

"M-my name's Juleka." Even at such a small age, Juleka was flustered from the social interaction.

"What's got you down, if you'we comfy with shawin'," Juleka smiled a little bit after hearing Rose mispronounce her R's like that. Why did she feel tingles? Huh, maybe she would address that another day.

"I- you won't tell anyone this, correct?" Juleka asked of her.

"Of couwse not! I'm a mewmaid anyways, so you can tell me anythin!"

"Well, I uh, got bitten by a vampire a bit ago, and I didn't like it. It felt weird, and now whenever I go out during the day with no umbrella or notin', my skin burns from the sun."

Rose's small face, even that young, filled with empathy for the girl in front of her. "I'm so sowwy, that must not be vewy nice to deal wit," she said. "Since I'm a mewmaid, I need special stuff to help me out of the ocean, owr else I might go to sweep foweva."

It was clear Rose's parents told her that last part, because she obviously was too innocent to know what 'die' meant.

"Do you want a hug to make ya feel betta?" Rose asked hopefully.

Juleka laughed at the sight of Rose grinning so happily, her introverted self forgotten. "Sure." She opened her arms and let the small girl's arms wrap around her tightly.

They sat there for a few minutes, just the two of them, along with the calming sound of the waves splashing and ebbing against the shore. Juleka felt very tingly, and Rose did as well, but they both didn't know why. On their own, they both thought that maybe that would come into play later, but they slowly forgot about it.

"Wait, you're a mermaid, how come you aren't wet?" Juleka asked.

"Well, my special thingy I have does that," Rose replied, feeling herself, and noticing she wasn't wet.

Juleka laughed. "Rose, what are you doing?"

"You'we, wight, I'm dwy!"

"Yeah, of course you are. You're not wet from the ocean."

Rose messed with Juleka's hair for no apparent reason.

"Hey, I worked to get it like this!" Juleka said, laughing, and started carding her fingers in Rose's hair in return.

At this point, the two were both laughing at each other, giggling loudly, with big grins on each of their tiny faces.

Juleka tickled Rose, and lucky her, she found Rose's tickle spot.

"Julekaaaaaa," Rose cried out, laughing hysterically.

Rose started tickling Juleka in return, and Juleka started laughing too.

"Stop, stop, truce! I'm gonna pee!" Rose yelled in between laughs, and Juleka finally relented on the small girl in front of her. Rose got her breathing back on track, and the two just smiled at each other.

"Jules! There you are!" Juleka's older brother, Luka, exclaimed, running towards them. He had black hair, was an average height for his age, and ran to his younger sister to hug her.

"Oh, Luka, this is my new friend, Rose!" Juleka exclaimed excitedly, her usual reserved self long gone.

"Hewo!" Rose waved happily.

Luka looked at her for a moment. "You're a mermaid, aren't you?" He asked, eyebrow raised.

Rose gasped. "I am!" She turned to Juleka. "How'd he know I'm a mewmaid?"

Juleka shrugged. "He can just tell, I guess."

Luka turned to the both of them. "Sorry Jules, but we gotta go. Mom's worried sick."

Juleka pouted. "Luuuuuuu."

Luka bent down to Rose. "Where do you go to school?" He asked.

Rose gasped. "Juleka! We go to the same school! I've seen you befowe! We can see each otha thewe!"

Juleka smiled and hugged Rose. "Yay! I'll see you tomorrow at school then!" They pulled away, and waving at each other, Juleka and Luka left Rose to go back to the ocean, until the next time they saw each other.

Luka kept this to himself, but from this day forward, he knew his younger sister was a raging homosexual. And he didn't love her any less for who she loved.

A/N: uh hi y'all it's been a while LMAO. Lowkey forgot about continuing the series, and I'm not sure if I will. As you see, I take long breaks and accidentally forget about the story. Also, I'm pretty sure my writing skills when I first started this SUCKED ASS. So please, accept my apologies for bad grammar, word choice, dumb spelling errors and all in between. I'm not sure when I'll be posting the next part, but I hope you have a good day!

*Also if you want, check out my YouTube channel. It is Bumpling. I post shit song covers lol.