Chapter- 10

Anna's POV-

Today I'm very happy. I made a friend. I mean one more, her name is Kate. We exchanged our numbers. Today we are going to add in our social accounts too. I fought with Xavier but we patch up again.

Now I am feeling like l will be okay. It feels normal.

With this same excitement, I entered the house. No one was in the hall. I announced my presence, but no one replied.

It's strange. They usually stay at home these days. I ignored it and get in the kitchen. I took some snacks and a sandwich in my room. I am in no mood to have lunch here.

I went into my room, but the food on my bed, and went to the bathroom. I freshen up and changed into a loose crop top and shorts.

I took my laptop and opened my Facebook. I saw there are some new friend requests. I opened that column first because it's a rare occasion that I got a friend request.

Two of them were from my two new friends. Xavier's request is about 2 days before and Kate sent the request just 15 minutes before.

There was one more, but I didn't know this guy so I haven't accepted it. I opened my Instagram I followed them back. I was looking into Xavier's post, then I saw a message from him. It was written as 'Hi, stalker, looking into my profile.'

'Dude, you have a solid misconception about yourself. You are not that handsome and I'm not that free.' I replied. A smile was already on my face.

'You are the first one, whoever said that I don't look hot. It's okay, from tomorrow onwards, I'll try harder to look handsome in front of you.' He messaged with a winking face emoji.

'Please don't, I'm not interested.' We talked a little when Kate made a group of three us. She forcefully took Xavier's phone number. Now three of us are in a chat group.

'Hello, guys.' Kate was the first to message. I started talking to her. But Xavier didn't message. He was online, but still. Then I received a personal message. It was from Xavier.

'You are my friend. Why are you talking to her only?' He sends it with a frowning face emoji.

'Why are you getting upset. We all are friends. You should talk to her also. She is very sweet.' I replied.

'You say that I'm ugly, but she is sweet for you. See, you are starting to discriminate. In no time, you will forget about me.' This time he sent a sad face.

This guy is something else. 'Idiot, why would I do that. You are my first friend and you always will be.' I replied.

'Okay, if you say so. Now bye, mom is calling.' He went offline.

I talked to Kate a little, then I closed my laptop and took a nap. I woke up with a knock on my door.

"Anastasia darling, come down and have dinner." It was my aunt. Am I still in a dream?
My aunt never talked to me like this.

"Coming," I replied. I get off the bed and put the laptop on my study table and went downstairs.

"Oh dear, you are here. Let's eat. I made delicious food only for you." This is scaring me. I looked at her in shock. I looked around and everyone was behaving like this is normal. What the hell is going on here?

"It's an okay aunt. I could have made something for me. Still, thank you." I don't know how to react to this.

No one talked a single word between the dinner. Only my aunt was kept on sweet-talking me. Which made me very suspicious.

When I finished my dinner, my aunt said "Anna, we always loved you. We were strict on you because we care for you. You are my brother's precious daughter. Keep this in mind." She gave me a big smile. Her eyes were full of tears.

I felt warm inside. I went to her and hugged her. My eyes get wet too. Maybe I misunderstood them. They always give me food and tell me to be careful.

I wiped her tears, then mine. I gave her a smile and went into my room. The first thing I did is to call Xavier.

"I'm so so so happy. You know, my aunt said that she loves me. She hugged me. She even cried for me. I think I was wrong about them." I said all this in one breath. I was smiling. I waited for his reply, but he was very quiet.
"Xavier. Are you there" I asked.

"Yes."

"Then what happened? Why are you not saying anything?"

"I just think, you should not raise your expectations."

"Why would you say that? She is my aunt, she can love me. I am not that unlovable." I was hurt by his behavior. Can't my uncle-aunt, really love me?

"No princess, I'm not saying that. You are the most lovable person. But you think yourself, why would she suddenly start acting like this?" He had a point. I also felt that, but the hug and tears. They can't be fake right. I hang up the phone.

It's past 1:00 in the night. I went downstairs for water. The kitchen lights were on. Maybe one of my cousins is here. They usually come to take ice cream tubs.

I was about to enter when I heard my aunt. She was talking to my uncle.
"We have to pretend to like this girl for some more months." She said.

"But I can't understand, how would the board of directors come to know about this. She never went to meet anyone. She doesn't even know who are they." My uncle said in frustration.

"That I don't know, but if any of the members met her and she told them, how we treat her, that will be a big problem in making you the new CEO. We are lucky that she believed in our lie about her parent's inheritance." My aunt said with a scoff.

I can't breathe. My brain stopped working. I didn't know that tears were streaming down my face.

This is not true. They can't be this cruel. They can't lie to everyone. I was about to leave, not able to hear anything else. But then my aunt said something that left me stunned.

"I'm just waiting for the bank to call this company bankrupt. So that we can buy our own company after selling this one." I was about to fall down, but I collected all my strength and went up to my room.

I have decided, what I want to do after this. I can't let my parents' hard work go in vain. This is my responsibility. I will take back what is mine.

With determination, I went to bed. Tomorrow is a new day for me.

********

Hello, lovelies. One more chapter down. Please keep on supporting me.