Chapter 16

Isla's POV

My phone buzzed beside me as I layed on the floor, watching the birds sit on the ledge. I sighed, putting my phone on do not disturb. The sun had just risen, casting a morning glow on the city as it began to awaken. The honking of cars and revving of motors could be heard in the distance. The Eiffel Tower glittered in the view in front of me. 

Two little birds chirped on the ledge of the balcony, fluttering their wings every now and then. I got up, stretching my very sore limbs. Spending the night on the balcony wasn't the smartest idea. I dusted off my leggings and shirt before making my way slowly towards the birds. I knew these types of birds were familiar with humans. Marleen had taught me that. If you were careful, they would let you get close to them. 

"Hi," I smiled, crouching to eye level. The bird turned to stare at me, letting out a chirp. I cupped my hand out to it, holding my breath. The bird pecked at my fingers making me flinch. After a moment, it hopped into my outstretched hand. I gasped in surprise - they usually didn't come to me. 

"Look at you," I grinned, whispering softly. I gently touched its head. I was honestly so shocked because the bird simply sat in my hand, letting me touch it. 

The sound of a door sliding open startled the bird, making it fly away along with its companion. I growled in frustration, turning to look at the culprit. 

Elliot stood wearing just black jeans... shirtless. Water dripped from his hair that draped over his eyebrows. I turned on my heels and walked into my room, leaving him to stare after me. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

I walked into the main cafeteria hall which I rarely ate in. Lucas had texted me, asking me to join him for breakfast. Luckily, I had woken up quite early today so I could make it. 

"Hey," I smiled, sliding into a seat across from Lucas. 

"Hola," he grinned, looking up from his phone. 

"Do you usually wake up this early?" I asked, taking off my sweater. It was a cold morning in contrast to the daytime weather. 

"Yeah, I'm an early bird," he replied in Spanish and I nodded. "I got you coffee," he said, pushing a Starbucks cup towards me. 

"Oh my gosh, you know me so well," I laughed, taking a sip. I wasn't very picky about what coffee I drank, as long as it was coffee. We sat and chatted for a bit before getting up to get breakfast. I chose a pain au chocolat while Lucas went for a buttered croissant. 

"I'm a kid at heart," I chuckled, looking at my chocolatey breakfast. 

"I can tell," Lucas laughed, his eyes twinkling in amusement. 

"So, do you have any hobbies?"

"Not really," he shrugged, "But I like playing football, I have a guitar-"

"You have a guitar?" I interrupted, my eyes widening. 

"Yes," he nodded, "Do you play?"

"Yeah," I nodded vigorously, "I love playing guitar."

"Great, you can teach me because I'm shit at it," Lucas laughed. 

"You have it with you?"

"Yes, it's in my room. Wanna see it?"

"If it's okay with you," I said quietly, bouncing my knee in excitement. 

"Let's go," he said, standing up and offering me a hand. I took it, a smile on my face. 

"I haven't seen my guitar in a month and I'm starting to miss it," I joked as we walked hand in hand towards his room. 

"Wait here," he said, hurring up the stairs to his room. Girls weren't allowed in the boys hall and Lucas was still a member, not a counselor.