Chapter 24

Isla's POV

"Eighteen people."

"No there's seventeen."

"Saskia, you're forgetting yourself again."

"Oh shit your right," Saskia chuckled sheepishly. I rolled my eyes and let out a laugh.

It felt good to be back in the kitchen baking after so long. The staff has coordinated a dinner party tonight and I had decided to make cookies. There were seventeen of us so I was planning on making 30 cookies.

My mind was still spinning from last night, the memories of that terrible day resurfacing.

"Hey," Elliot greeted, trudging into the kitchen. I cracked a smile when I noticed his hair, sticking in all directions. The front stands were damp, indicating he'd washed his face.

That was something I'd noticed about French men, they took really good care of their skin. And boy was I jealous.

"Cookies?" He asked, leaning against the counter as I handed him his coffee. Elliot and I were the only ones who regularly drank coffee in the entire house.

I hummed in response, focusing on measuring the oil. It was late, nearly 12. Last night we'd fallen asleep around 3 and I felt really bad that Eliot had to stay up so late because of me. I was also worried about what Katia said. My parents only ever fought when I had gone into a depressive state after Marleens' death.

I jumped as I felt a hand on my shoulder, spinning around quickly.

"Ça va? I asked you a question twice," Elliot asked, concern flashing in his eyes.

I nodded quickly, stepping back from him to put the bowl in the fridge.

"Sorry I was thinking about something. What were you asking?"

"If you're ready for the dinner."

"Oh yeah, definitely," I smiled, motioning to the baking tray. "Just a few more cookies left and then I'm all set."

"Can I eat one?" Yann asked, strolling into the kitchen. 

"No."

"Awww, why not. Pleeeease," he whined. 

"Fine, only one," I said, handing him a cookie from the first batch. I turned back to preheat the oven when i heard a yelp. 

"Putain de merde,"Yann growled, glaring daggers at Elliot. He simply smirked, chewing slowly. 

"You know you're worse than a wet sock," Yann snarled forcing me to hide a chuckle. My eyes traveled down to Yann's hand which now held half of a cookie instead of the whole one I'd given to him. Elliot noticed my look of confusion and sent me a wink before brushing past me. My expression stayed perplexed as Yann looked at me with a shocked look. 

"Did he just wink at you?"

"Beats me," I shrugged, turning around before the smile escaped my control. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

"Hey Isla!" Lucas greeted, giving me a side hug. 

"Hey! Long time no see," I laughed, following him into the kitchen carrying the cookies. 

"I know! You're like a four leaf clover," he chuckled, leaning against the counter as I set everything up. 

"Me? Look who's talking," I shot back making him roll his eyes. 

"So, what's in the cookies?" he asked, wiggling his brows. I snorted before responding. 

"If you're looking for weed cookies you've come to the wrong place."