Chapter 27

Isla's POV

"What color are you thinking of this time?" Saskia chirped, walking beside me through the mall. The stores were bustling with people, filled with weekend shoppers. 

"Dunno," I shrugged, watching the tiles pass under my shoes. 

"I got asked to the ball," Linette blurted making us stop. She kept walking ahead but I knew her cheeks were burning red. 

"What? Who? When?" Saskia asked, stopping in front of Linette. 

"Mathieu," she mumbled, "he asked me last week."

"No wonder you two were cozying up to each other," I mused, thinking back to Monday when I'd seen them walking hand in hand.

"Hey, you're guilty too," Linette pointed out, "you and Elliot spend way too much time together."

"Whatever," I mumbled, my smile dropping. Elliot hadn't spoken to me since the incident 4 days ago. God he was so, I didn't want to say bipolar, but he was... hot and cold. 

"We're here if you want to talk," Saskia said softly and I nodded, sending her a small smile.

We walked into the dress shop in hopes of finding a dress for the closing ceremony ball. Tomorrow was the last active day of camp before everyone would leave over the weekend. I was supposed to get a letter from AUP on Saturday so I hadn't booked a flight out yet. I was really hoping I would get in. 

"Why do we always go shopping the day before," Linette groaned. 

"At least it's not the day of," I remarked, flicking through the navy blue dresses. To be honest I didn't really feel like going. The pain medication I was on had a lot of side effects so I stopped taking them yesterday. I thought I would be good as new by now, but almost 2 weeks later, I was still recovering. My headaches had decreased significantly, but the few I had were now accompanied with nosebleeds.  I was worried that I would end up having a skull splitting migraine during the ceremony. 

"What if I just showed up for the ceremony and then left?" I asked, wandering over to Saskia who was looking at pale yellow dresses. She always went for the colorful options. 

"What? No!"

"Why not?"

"Because! It's the last time you get to see everyone. You have to say goodbye and have fun with everyone one last time."

"But I really don't feel like it," I mumbled, rubbing my forehead. 

"What? Isla are you okay? You never shy away from social gatherings," Saskia asked, a look of genuine concern crossing her face. 

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine."

"Alright, but you're coming tomorrow," she stated, giving me a playful glare. 

I sighed and resumed looking through the dresses. 

"How do I look?" Linette asked, spinning around. A smile made it's way onto my face as I saw how happy Linette looked. She had grown so much this summer, after presenting speech after speech in front of people, her shyness had taken a back seat. 

"Linette, I'm really proud of you," I grinned, making her squeal and run to give me a hug. 

"Thank you guys, I couldn't have done it without both of you pushing me."

"That's what friends are for," Saskia grinned. 

"Mathieu's jaw is going to drop when he see's you," I teased making her cheeks turn pink. 

Linette's dress