Chapter 26

Isla's POV

"Isla!" Lucas nearly screeched, running up to me, holding a bouquet of flowers. He spurted out a series of words in spanish, half of which I didn't even catch because of how fast he was speaking. I did catch a few swear words and something along the lines of, "Are you okay, I hate you for scaring me like that you're such an asshole," something something.

"Woah, slow down there," I chuckled, taking the flowers he shoved into my hand. 

"Slow down? Slow down?? You nearly died and you're telling me to slow down?"

"stop overreacting I'm fine," I giggled, patting his shoulder. 

"Those flowers are from Saskia, she told me to give them to you since she's gone to the staff meeing," Lucas explained. "Apparently when she went yesterday all the flowers were wilted and "I can't give a wilted girl wilted flowers."

"What? Wilted girl?" I laughed, shaking my head. Saskia was quite interesting. I looked down at the flowers and rolled my eyes. She got me chrysanthemums. Which are a symbol of death in France. Of course she would do that.

"Well, I'm glad you're okay," Lucas grinned, giving me another hug. 

"Thank you Lucas," I smiled, waving to him as he hurried to get back to his group. I shut the door, setting the flowers on the kitchen counter. 

"Hey Isla," Linette greeted, coming down from her room.

"Hey, you're not at the meeting?"

"No, I came back to get my laptop and notebook," she explained. "Also I wanted to tell you, I applied for SIU Paris and got accepted."

"Oh my gosh, that's great!" I exclaimed, clapping my hands. "Congrats."

"Thank you. Saskia applied too."

"Wait really? When?" I asked, feeling confused as to why I didn't know. 

"Um, last week I think."

Should I just apply as well? Taking a gap year would waste a lot of time. 

"Isla?"

"Huh? Yeah, that's uh, that's great," I nodded, giving her a small smile. She gave me a funny look before waving goodbye. 

Well that's great. Should I? It's too late though, applications were probably due last week. 

I sighed as I plopped onto the couch. Camp would be ending in 2 weeks, and I would be heading home the weekend after. My plan was set to take a gap year but now I was doubting my decision. 

I called my mother right after speaking with Linette. She agreed that it was a bit late and my choices would be limited. A part of me was annoyed that Saskia and Linette hadn't told me they were applying, but then again, I was supposed to be taking a gap year. 

After contemplating for another 20 minutes, I decided to get started on my applications. I opened my files and starting putting together the forms I would need. About half way in, I realized I couldn't find my high school transcript. I frantically searched through all my saved and downloaded files but I couldn't find it. 

"Oh thank god," I mumbled, finaly finding the file saved under "LOL". Who names a file LOL???

I heard the key turning in the doorknob as Elliot entered the house. 

He had been acting really strange. Ever since I had come back from the hospital 4 days ago, he seemed distant and cold. Every time I tried to have a conversation with him, he would brush me off or give short answers. 

"Hey Elliot, I have a qu-"

"Not now Isla," he muttered, brushing past me and up the stairs to his room. I stood at the bottom of the stairs, staring at the spot where he was standing. 

"Excuse me?" I exclaimed, bounding up the stairs after him. 

"I said not now. I really don't want to deal with your problems right now," he stated, sitting down at his desk and opening his computer. He still hadn't even looked at me. 

"Elliot!"

"What Isla?!"he exclaimed, turning to look at me. His jaw ticked, something he did when he was angry. His eyes were dark and brooding and I could tell by his tense stance that he was really pissed off. 

"What's your problem? What's gotten into you?"

"What's my problem?" he repeated, standing up, his 6'1 figure towering over me. "My problem, is that you won't stop bothering me. God, why are you so damn clingy?"

I stared up at him, feeling utterly confused. His brows were furrowed in annoyance as he glared at me. I couldn't help but feel hurt seeping into my heart.

"Just go," he sighed, rubbing his forehead as he turned away from me. I opened my mouth to speak but he cut me off.

"I said leave."

And so I did, but not without slamming his door shut. 

I ran down the stairs, trying to contain my emotions. I was furious because of the way he was speaking to me. I clenched my fists, breathing in and out. 

Calm down. Just breathe. 

It took me a whole 10 minutes to calm down. I decided that his rude attitude wasn't going to ruin my day. I sat back down on the couch and resumed filling the applications. 

But I couldn't focus because his words kept repeating in my head. 

"God, why are you so damn clingy?"

It didn't help that when I was little, I was always afraid of being too clingy and that I was annoying people by spending time with them. I later realized that it was just me doubting myself and that people generally enjoyed my presence. I was just overthinking. But now all those doubts I had managed to erase  were coming back.  It was even weirder because the past few days we had barely even spent time with each other, much less than usual. 

I groaned and rubbed a hand over my face. Deciding that a cup of coffee would help, I stood up. Suddenly, a hot flash of pain erupted in my head. It pounded harshly against the side of my skull, and it felt as if I was being hit again. I grit my teeth as I stumbled to the staircase, dragging myself up the stairs. 

I had two other minor headaches the doctor had said would occur, but none were this bad. 

"Elliot," I whimpered, leaning against his door. The handle was locked. 

"Isla I already fucking told you," his muffled voice came through the door. I slumped against the wall, feeling tears prick at my eyes. I crawled to my room, swinging the door open. Grabbing them from my beside table drawer, I swallowed 2 Aspirin pills dry. A week ago, I couldn't even swallow one with water. 

Crawling into bed, I curled up into a ball. A single tear rolled down my cheek, then another, and another. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to force them back. I wanted my mom. I wanted her to help me, to take the pain away, to tell me I wasn't a burden on everyone. I wanted her to make me soup and to stroke my hair until I fell asleep. And for the first time in a long time, I wanted to go home. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This chapter wasn't very dialogue heavy, sorry about that. I hope you guys like it, cuz I had to write it twice 😅. Please let me know if you're enjoying the book, I love reading comments and suggestions. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

-Mia