6 - Neither of Them

1960

George's P.O.V.

"Boys, pack your shit. We just got ourselves a gig!" John announces to the band plus Kennedy.

"You guys got a gig? Like a big one?" She asks.

"Fuck yes we did!" John smirks back.

"Holy hell! Where?"

"Hamburg, Germany!"

Whoa, what? 

"John... did you just say Germany?" I ask cautiously.

"Germany? That's amazing!" Paul shouts before John can answer.

"Hell yeah!" Pete and Stu join in.

"Wait, how long will you be gone?" Kennedy asks, looking concerned.

"Probably around two years." John nonchalantly replies.

Two fucking years? Two FUCKING years? I mean, this is great for the band! But what about Kennedy?

"You guys are going to be gone for two years?" She asks, her eyes getting red.

"Yeah, if all goes well!"

"Which it will!" Pete buts in.

I look over at Kennedy while the boys celebrate. She's crying now. Oh god... what do I do?

That afternoon

"Kenny, this is a huge opportunity for the band!" I argue and sit on her bed. "We're going places!"

"I know! You guys are going to be amazing! I just-" she stops herself as if she was about to spill a secret.

"You just what?"

"Ugh... nothing. Go off. Go with the band to Germany! Not like it's illegal or anything for a 17 year old to be there unaccompanied by a guardian!"

"Kennedy, why don't you want us to go to Hamburg so bad?! I thought you supported the fact that I want to be a guitarist!"

"I support you being a guitarist! I just don't want you to be gone for two years!"

"Come with me then! Then we can be together for those two years!"

"Again, it's illegal to go unaccompanied when you're 17! And my parents would never let me! I'm surprised yours did!"