𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 ϟ

Argent dropped his bag of weapons and crouched down to the ground. "So you've been tracking them by print?" He asked and Scott nodded. "Well, then you've been wasting your time. There's only one creature on earth that can visually track footprints, and that's man." Argent studied the ground and pointed out a footprint, "And, if you're not trained like me, you have no idea that this print is Boyd's and these--"

"Are Cora's," Isaac said confidently as he pointed to another footprint.

"Nope-- they're yours. You trampled Cora's as soon as you walked over here." Argent told him and Isaac looked down to where he was standing. Argent sighed, "Listen, I know the four of you are focusing half your energy on resisting your own urges under the full moon, but that puts you at a severe disadvantage to Boyd and Cora, who have fully given in. They put the pedal to the floor, where you four, are barely hitting the speed limit."

"So what'd we do?" Derek asked, arms crossed and focused.

"Focus on your sense of smell. Actual wolves are known to track their prey by up to a hundred miles a day by scent. A trained Hunter can use scent to track them. If the wind is with them, wolves can track a scent by a distance of two miles, which means we can draw them to us... or into a trap." Argent threw me a pile of netting, "The full moon does give us one advantage-- they'll have a higher heat signature, which makes them easier to spot with infrared." He tossed Isaac and Derek a pair of heat-vision goggles.

"Thanks," Derek said as he turned the goggles around in his hands, "I've got my own," He flashed his red eyes and tossed the headset back.

"Just remember, we're not hunting wild animals. Underneath those impulses are two intelligent human beings. Don't think they can't rely on that human side-- it's suppressed, but it's there, reminding them how to mask their scent, how to cover their tracks, how to survive." Argent said as he walked away from the group.

"This is gonna be fun," I smiled before following Argent, making the boys follow me. We walked away from the car and onto the large ledge that looks over Beacon Hills. The sky was dark but the town was brightly lit with orangy-yellow lights. The full moon shined brightly onto us and I took a deep breath, remind myself that I needed to focus on control.

"When's the last time you saw your sister?" Argent asked Derek and he sighed.

"Not in years. I thought she died in the fire," Derek replied and Argent nodded.

"Do you feel like you have a lock on her scent?" Argent looked at Derek as he shook his head, "Scott, how confident are you in your skills?"

"Honestly, most of the time, I'm trying not to think about all the things I can smell." He replied and Argent approved of his answer.

"All right-- the problem is when they breach the woods and hit the residential area. Once they're past the high school, they're right in the middle of Beacon Hills." He informed us.

"They're not gonna kill everything they see, are they?" I asked, and he shook his head.

"No... But, there is an important difference to recognize. Wolves hunt for food-- at a certain point, they get full. But Boyd and Cora are hunting for the pleasure of the kill-- for some apex predatory satisfaction that comes from the ripping of warm bodies to bloody shreds. And who knows when that need gets satiated?" Argent replied as he turned to face us.

I dug my heel into the ground and nodded, "So, we can't kill them, but what if we can't catch them?" I asked.

"Then maybe we just need to contain them. There's no one in the school at night, is there?" He asked and I shook my head.