𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ϟ

The late afternoon was a mix between a warm breeze and many clouds. Nonetheless, the sun still shined brightly through the windows of Derek's loft, shadowing the couch area that was set in the corner. I swiped through my phone while Derek watched over Cora. I heard him grunting and I quickly sat up, only to realize that he was taking her pain.

I placed my phone on the coffee table and moved towards him, just as worried as Peter was, which was surprising. Cora gasped loudly as her pain disappeared, "Careful..." Peter warned he pulled his arm away.

The black veins slowly disappeared as he cradled his arm. "Don't worry," Derek replied as he clenched and unclenched his fist, "I know going too far could kill me,"

"That's not exactly what I mean..." Peter said as he crossed his arms. Both of us turned to face him, giving him a look that he needed to explain, "I've heard it's something only Alphas can do and with good reason..."

"Which is?" I asked as I stared at the man, not sure if we should trust him. You should never trust someone who you call 'Satan in a V-neck' behind their back.

"You know, normal wolves never abandon an injured member of the pack," He explained, "They care for it. They bring it food from a kill and then regurgitate it into the mouth of the injured wolf," My face scrunched up in disgust, "They even give it physical and emotional comfort by intensely grooming it. In a way, they can do more than just ease pain-- they can be instrumental in healing their own,"

Derek and I both walked towards the desk that Peter was leaning against, and I could tell that he was intrigued. "If you're trying to tell me I can save her, just tell me," He replied irritably.

Peter sighed, "I'm telling you... I heard it's possible."

"How?" I asked and he looked towards me.

"It's that spark of power that makes you an Alpha," He focused on Derek, "When you take her pain, she draws on the power that provides you with those special gifts: the power that heightens your senses, your strength; the power that transforms your body," I looked between Peter and Cora, not sure how to feel about this new information, "As an Alpha, you have that bit of extra-- that spark intensifies the color of your eyes from a bright yellow into a searing red,"

"If I can save her--" Derek began but Peter held a finger up.

"'If.' If. I didn't say it works every time. It could just as easily kill you," He added as he faced the window, while Derek furrowed his eyebrows in thought.

Derek thought himself for a second, "How do I do it? By taking her pain?" He asked, hunched over the desk.

"And then some... Because there's a cost," He answered before moving towards the kitchen. I turned to Derek, hoping to talk to him before he threw all of his power away on something that might not even work.

"Do you trust him?" I asked him honestly, knowing that he knew what Peter was like. "It's Peter, we're talking about,"

"I know that," He replied as he rubbed his forehead, "But this is the only way to save Cora," He explained as he turned to face me.

"It might not even save her," I told him, "Peter said 'if' and he's not the most trust-worthy person right now,"

He sighed as he looked at his younger sister who was still on bed-rest. "It doesn't matter," Derek stated, "This could save her, and I need to save her,"

I sighed deeply, knowing that he had already made up his mind and I wouldn't be able to change it, "Okay... just please be safe,"

"Can we talk about you for a second?" He asked and I looked up through my eyelashes, not sure what he meant. "About you and--"