How was school?

'Hey Annalise' my friends wave to me, I smile and wave back as they run towards me, 'We're going to grab something to eat from a sushi bar just down the road, do you want to come with us?'

'Oh, I would love to but I have so much work to do' I reply, they sigh sadly before nodding.

'Well I guess, we'll see you later' they say giving me a quick hug goodbye.

'Bye Ellie, bye Clara' I call after them waving, after they disappear down the road, I turn and walk towards the school bike shed, it takes me fifteen minutes to cycle home, I'm still not old enough to drive a car, so I guess this will have to do.

I leave my bike in the garage before heading round to the front door, 'Mum! Dad! I'm home'

'Annalise, go wash your hands, you're just in time for dinner' my mum answers, I run upstairs, taking my coat off and hanging it on the hook behind my door, I peel of my dress and kick off my shoes before pulling on my sweatpants and a t shirt.

'Annalise!' my mum's voice calls from downstairs. I drop my phone on my bed and hurry downstairs, knowing that they don't like waiting for too long.

Mum fills everyone's plate with hot lasagne, 'This tastes good mum'

'Thank you, Annalise your birthday is in one week's time, is there anything specific that you want?' mum asks, I swallow my spoonful.

'Not really' I shrug.

—-

My phone beeps as a text comes through, Unknown Number; 'The countdown begins.' I furrow my eyebrows, what countdown? Is this a prank? I shrug it off and turn to my desk to carry on with my homework.

I watch the clock as it ticks to nine pm, I have finally finished all of my homework, I sigh and begin clearing my desk away before throwing myself down on my bed, my eyes close and my thoughts begin to drift.

- Flashback -

'Hey honey, how was school?' mum's cheery voice exclaims as she peers her head round the door, I just stare at her, my ten year old body wrapped up in school uniform.

'School... School?' I repeat, staring at her in confusion. Mum suddenly has a worried look on her face, she puts down whatever she was holding and slowly walks towards me, I drop my bag on the floor.

'Are you feeling alright?' she asks, her hand lightly placed on my shoulder.

'I was at school?' I ask, looking at her, she nods. 'I-I don't remember'

I watch as her face changes to one of realisation before she plasters a fake smile on her face, 'Honey, why don't you go and get changed, ready for dinner' she ushers me up the stairs before disappearing into the living room, I stand on the staircase staring at the living room door which is open ajar, I can hear her and my father talking.

'The day the doctor told us about, has come' she says, I hear my father sigh before replying.

'We're going to have to be careful'

- End of Flashback -

My eyes open and I sit up, that day after I returned home and my mum asked me how my day was at school, I tried to answer her but I couldn't remember, I couldn't remember ever being at school, in fact I couldn't even remember my childhood before that moment, I feel as if my life started after she asked that question, but that's stupid of course I had a childhood, I just couldn't remember it and I still can't.

I take a deep breath and try to think back to when I was younger, maybe there was a time when I went to the park with my parents, maybe I did the same things that kids I see on the street do; jump in puddles and play hide and seek in shops and point excitedly at candy whilst pressing my face against a glass. I just can't remember doing any of those things, all of my friends tell me stories of their childhood, they remember when they first fell over or who their childhood best friend was etc, even my parents remember... everyone, except me.

'Annalise, are you still awake?' mum's voice calls out as my bedroom door opens, she steps inside but I don't bother to look up at her. 'What's wrong honey?'

'Mum, why can't I remember anything from my childhood? You and dad can, all of my friends can but why can't I?' I ask, mum sighs and sits beside me, wrapping her arm around my shoulders.

'Honey, there are lots of people who don't remember their childhood, I'm sure you're not the only one and you can always ask me and your father if you want to know anything' she tells me, lightly rubbing my shoulder in a comforting manner, I slowly nod. 'Come on honey, you have to get some sleep'

'Good night mum'

'Good night'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's Annalise on the side or above  >>>>^^^^ COMMENT and VOTE thank you!