Chapter 1

Quote of the Day
It is our choices that show us who we really are, far more than our abilities
-Albus Dumbledore

Disclaimer: I own nothing but the plot. How to Train Your Dragon is owned by Dreamworks. 

Hiccup's POV

I shuddered in fear when I saw Astrid give me a death glare. She was really scary. Pretty, but scary. I gulped and plastered on a smile for the crowd as Gobber held up my hand. 

Gothi had thought I would do a great job killing the Monstrous Nightmare tomorrow, ignoring the brain waves I was trying to send her signaling this was a terrible idea. It was a terrible idea. It was nice being in the spotlight for once, but really, it was all just an illusion. Tomorrow when I wouldn't be able to kill the Monstrous Nightmare, everyone would see me for who I really was. Just a small, scrawny and pathetic boy. 

How could I kill a dragon when one was my friend? I had recently discovered that dragons weren't dangerous at all. They were kind, gentle creatures that only harmed others when they were provoked. My father was far too stubborn to understand that, though. And really, who could blame him? His wife had been taken by them. 

As soon as the ceremony was over, I walked out of the arena and into my hut. There was no way I was killing that Monstrous Nightmare tomorrow. No way. I was leaving. And no one would be able to stop me. Well, maybe my father or any other viking if they saw me. But that wouldn't happen, because no one would see me.

I took a satchel and started shoving things into it. My notebook filled with inventions, a pencil, and my most prized possession, a small stone. It had a stripe going around it. Astrid had given it to me on my tenth birthday when we were still friends. We were very close back then. When we grew up, we drifted apart to the point where we didn't even acknowledge each others presence. Well, to the point where Astrid didn't acknowledge my presence. To her, I was invisible. I was pretty much invisible to everyone. 

When I had everything I needed, I put my satchel underneath my bed and went to my father's hut. The sun was beginning to set and I was getting hungry. I opened the door and helped myself to a big dinner that consisted of chicken, vegetables and bread. When I was full, I took some food and put it in a leather pouch. Then, I set for my small hut beside the armory. 

When I got there, I put the leather pouch in the bag and set out to the cove. As I was walking, I heard someone whisper.

"His father will finally be proud of him," the voice said.

Another snickered. "If he's lucky. Look at him. No amount of bravery will compensate for that."

I ignored them and rushed forward. Did they seriously think I couldn't hear them?

I found Toothless hanging on a tree.

"Come on bud," I said, "We're taking a vacation. Forever."

I shook him and he jumped out of the tree and stretched. I put the satchel in his saddle bag and climbed on. We were about to take off when I heard footsteps. I hopped off Toothless and cautiously walked over to were the sound was coming from. Astrid's head peeked out from behind a tree. 

"What did you see?" I asked her, trying to keep the panic from my voice.

"I just got here, Hiccup," she said. The way she said it made me believe her and I relaxed a bit.

I opened my mouth to say something back when she shoved me to the ground. 

"Get down," she hissed. "Night Fury."

I got up quickly and signaled for Toothless to do a plasma blast. It was dark now, so Astrid didn't see. There was a flash of purple and she was knocked backwards. I rushed over to see if she was still alive. She was. 

I went back and got on Toothless. 

"I'm sorry, Astrid," I said. "I had to do it."

After whispering a quick goodbye to everyone, I took off into the air, leaving Berk for the first time in my life. 

I wasn't planning on coming back anytime soon. Or ever.

A/N What do you think about the story so far?  I hope you and your families are staying safe during these horrific times. This is my first book on Wattpad, so please don't be too harsh. Also, if you have any writing tips/advice, please comment and tell me. Thanks for reading and have a great rest of your day!