Chapter 25

-Luke's P.O.V-

As we all begin to talk, I let my mind wander slightly, with Ash right beside me, making me feel safe.

I feel like I should explain some things about Calum and I.

When I was younger, like, very young. My parents had taken my brothers and I to the park. I was sat in the sandpit, happily messing around with all the sand that I could latch my hands too and drawing patterns into the sand. My brothers weren't around, but my mum was sat a little aways from me, watching me while my dad watched my brothers. I didn't mind being alone, I felt at peace there.

Suddenly a tan boy, around my age sat beside me. He looked about my age, but that didn't make me any less weary.

"Hi. I'm Calum." The boy- Calum- chirped.

His smile was wide and he looked happy to be beside me, so I decided, why not try to be friends.

"Hi, I'm Luke." I introduce, trying not to let any of my fear crawl into my voice.

"I'm six. My birthday was the other day, and it was so fun because mummy and daddy took me and my big sister, Mali-Koa to an amusement park, it was scary but still fun." He rambles.

"I'm five." I mumble, still not feeling that safe with him.

He beams at me, but it seems to falter slightly.

"Do you not want to be my friend." He whispers, looking close to tears.

My eyes widen and I shake my head quickly, "I do, it's just, I don't really have many friends, and I wasn't sure you wanted to be my friend."

He tilts his head in confusion and says, "why would no one want to be friends with you."

I shrug and sniffle sadly, "I don't know."

He pulls me into a rather awkward hug- but it was still nice nonetheless- and says in a firm voice, "well Luke, I'm now your best friend. Forever and ever."

"Really?" I ask, a huge smile engraved on my face.

"Really." He states while pulling away.

"So, what's your favourite animal?" He asks, his tone suddenly very serious.

I think for a moment and reply, "Penguins."

He smiles brightly and says, "Phew, I thought you might say spiders or something, and then we wouldn't be able to be friends because I hate spiders. My favourite animal is dogs, I prefer them over cats."

I nod and say, "I don't like Spiders. They're ew. And dogs are cuddly."

"Agreed." He says, now sitting beside me.

-

We had seen each other a lot at the park, and we had become really good friends.

But now I was starting school, and I was so scared, I hadn't asked Calum if he was going to this school and I didn't want to be alone.

As I walked into the school, with my parents on each side I could feel myself try to shrink away.

I hear a gasp and then someone shout "LUKEY."

Calum.

I spin around and see him running towards me with a huge smile on his face, that is soon replicated on mine.

"CAL." I shout as we both hug each other.

"Now we can be best best friends." Calum cheers, and I nod in agreement.