Chapter 31

We all hop into the car, this time Mikey sat up front with Ash beside me.

I feel a pair of eyes on me and I turn my head to see Ashton looking intently at me. I frown slightly and ask, "Why are you looking at me Ashy."

"Don't worry Penguin." He says nonchalantly.

Realisation crosses his face as he realises what he said and he blushes deeply, he is about to say something when I laugh.

"That's a new one." I exclaim, actually liking it though.

Calum laughs from the driver's seat, "I never thought of that nickname, it's sticking." He chimes in.

Michael shouts his agreements and I glare mockingly at him.

"Nice one Ashton, look what you've done." I say, making my voice come of as angry.

His eyes widen and I see guilt in his eyes, "I'm really sorry Lukey, it just happened. I know penguins are your favourite animal, and you know, they're really cute and so are you, so I called you it. I'm sorry." He blurts out.

My eyes widen and a smile crosses my face, I also feel guilt build up within me, knowing I messed up and shouldn't have said what I did.

"Ashy bear, I was joking. I love the name; I was just messing about." I exclaim, feeling rather bad now.

I see relief wash over him and a smile replace his worried frown.

"I seriously thought I had upset you, I got so worried." He hurries out.

I frown sadly and say, "Sorry Ashy."

He smiles brightly and says, "It's okay Penguin."

I shake my head at the name, but in all honesty, I love it.

-

Once we all get back to Cal's we all go and watch some more Hell's Kitchen.

I sit once again close to Ash, and he has his arm resting over my shoulder. I lean my back into his chest a little and smile at his warmth.

"Why are you always so warm?" I question him, while tilting my head up to look at him.

He looks down, and our eyes connect, and, in that moment, it feels like it is only the two of us in the whole world; my scars and cuts no longer bother me; and my once dark and dreary thoughts turn bright and happy.

"I'm not sure, I guess being around you makes me warm." He says, trying to make it sound smooth.

Sadly, it makes me laugh hysterically as I say, "Ash, that was so bad."

"I tried." He pouts sadly.

"And I appreciate it." I said, while leaning more into him.

I wish I had the balls to just tell Ashton how I feel, but part of me knows he doesn't like me back, and that even though he does this, it's just in a friendly matter. I would much rather have him as a friend than nothing more if he doesn't like me the way I like him.

-

"Bye Ashy." I mumble into his chest.

"Bye Penguin, I'll see you Saturday." He says glumly.

I nod and he and Mikey leave.

The door closes and it's just Cal and I again.

"Lukey, I was wondering if you wanted to stay the night. I know it's a school night, but I would be picking you up tomorrow, and I can easily give you some of my clothes if you want." Calum rambles out as we walk into his living room.