06

* please keep interacting with this story! it's hit over 1k reads already which is amazing, thank you so much! <3 *

06 || 01/08/2011

"Over here, Lando!" Mila giggled, as she opened her arms for her best friend to rush into whilst she stood at the back door of the beautiful holiday apartment their families had rented out for two weeks. It was the summer holidays and Mila was so relieved to finally have some time away from school before she started secondary school in September. She was nervous, but it was a fresh start, and Lando constantly told her that she would make new friends, but spending time together in Croatia, alongside their families, was everything Mila needed right now. School didn't matter. Lando's karting didn't matter, although he became more successful by the day.

"Mila, you've been asleep for ages," Lando rolled his eyes as he allowed the hot sun to hit his back, whilst reaching for Mila's body and pulling her close. He smiled when his nose buried deeply into her soft hair, the smell of strawberries which he loved so very much filling his nostrils. "I was so bored without you."

"I only had a nap for half an hour! I showered afterwards too," Mila huffed as she folded her arms across her chest, rolling her eyes as Lando giggled in her face. Mila's heart swelled; she simply thought her best friend was so precious. She was just so proud of him and everything he had achieved already, knowing fine well that he had even bigger things to look forward to. "I missed you."

"Your hair smells like strawberries," Lando seemed to ignore everything Mila said to him, instead focusing on twirling a strand of her long hair around his fingers. Mila poked her finger against Lando's chest. "Sorry. I just really like the smell of strawberries."

"Talking of strawberries, Lando," Cisca's voice startled the pair and pulled them from their little moment, Lando's head snapping upwards so that he could look at his mum with ease. "There's snacks in the kitchen for both of you. I'd hurry along and take your pick before your brothers get there."

Oliver and Micah were the most annoying pair when they were together. Now that they were older, they were more capable of teasing Lando and Mila, plus Flo and Cisca. Although Lando tried to fight back, especially if the boys were teasing Mila, he was never successful. The three year age gap seemed to be advantageous. However, all six children seemed to have such a strong bond as a whole, so when they wanted to get along, they did so very well and their parents couldn't complain. The love they had for one another was so pure. It was a real delight to see.

Lando reached for Mila's hand after listening to his mum's words, pulling her gently into the kitchen and not rushing because he was still very focused on being careful with her. Even though Mila was older now and her doctors told her that everything was looking perfect, he didn't want to be too rough with her. Lando never wanted to endanger his best friend because he needed her more than he realised. These past few years, when his karting was really becoming serious, he realised the importance of having the support from someone who really cared about you. Mila was heartbroken on the day she found out that Lando would be leaving school to be tutored at home, but she managed to overcome her fear of being alone. Mila was already so successful, producing great grades consistently and Lando was so proud of her.

"Strawberries!" Lando pumped a fist in the air as he scrambled onto one of the stools in the kitchen, reaching for a small plate and widening his eyes at the selection of delicious fruits before him. He took a fork from the side of the bench top and began to collect some strawberries, pineapple and pieces of pear. Mila sat beside him, holding her hands around the rim of her plate as she looked at her mum. "Milly, what do you want?"