four

* a new character is introduced in this chapter (we need a little bit of spice, i think), so i hope you all enjoy that! please keep commenting and voting! *

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"How are you finding it? Your new, permanent job." I still shivered whenever the words passed from his lips. I couldn't believe that this was my job now and I would be working alongside Lando for as long as he remained in Formula One. Even though I was employed by McLaren, Lando reassured me that if he was to ever leave the team, I would go with him. We were a team and that would never change.

"I'm in love with it." I shook my head in total disbelief, feeling Lando draping his arm across my shoulders. Being here with him and working alongside him made me feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I did not take this opportunity for granted and I never would.

"You deserve it more than anything," Lando pressed his lips to my forehead. I felt my cheeks heating up as I blushed at the feeling of his touch. "I feel more grateful as each second passes. I never thought I would end up in Formula One. For some reason, I didn't think I'd be good enough, but I'm so grateful."

"I always knew that if I got to Formula One, you'd be here with me," Lando was sweet. He was very protective of me. He was loving. He was so patient with me. He loved me for the person I was, and not just because we were best friends. "There's no way I wasn't dragging you along with me."

I giggled. He always made me laugh, even when I was feeling down, but right now, I'd never been happier. The first week of pre-season testing was complete and we had a couple of days away from the track to chill and do as we pleased. I'd never been to Barcelona until now, so Lando and I took the opportunity to partake in some sightseeing and make the most of our down time here. I wanted nothing more than to explore with Lando by my side, making sure he snapped plenty of photographs to keep and treasure as a memory. I'd brought my new Polaroid camera along, something Lando bought me and surprised me with on Valentine's Day. He wanted us to take as many pictures together as we possibly could and I could never turn down that idea. I thought it was beautiful. I wanted to do that. For him.

"Are you ready to get going?" I chewed on my lip as I reached for my phone and secured it in my front pocket. I wasn't taking a bag with me. My identification and bank card were in Lando's wallet, which was securely in his front pocket, too. Pickpockets were common in Barcelona, according to Google, so I thought it would be best to carry as few belongings as possible. I just wanted to have a fun time, my Polaroid camera secured in the small pouch which was wrapped around my chest and fastened with a clip.

"One second," Lando took one final look in the mirror and ran his fingers through his hair. I could tell he was checking himself out. "All ready."

"Who are you doing your hair for? I didn't know you had anyone to impress." I lifted my eyebrow and a smirk grew on my lips as I noticed Lando turning beet red in the face. He looked cute when he was embarrassed. He sucked his bottom lip into his mouth and I could see the cogs turning in his head as he tried to think of an answer.

"I don't," Lando shrugged his shoulders and was quick to turn himself away. I raised my eyebrows because I felt like he was lying, the thought causing a burning sensation to grow in the pit of my stomach. I gave him a glare as he spun back on his feet to glance at me. It filled me with unease. "Mila! I don't."

He never spoke about girls. He was too focused on his career to develop feelings for anyone. We had each other and that's all we needed. I knew that one day he would find someone and fall in love with them, leaving me to fend for myself in life. Realistically, it was always inevitable but the thought of my best friend being with another girl made me feel nauseous. I couldn't bear to think about the love he would shower another girl with. I hated feeling jealous of someone who didn't even exist in Lando's life yet.