Chapter Eighteen

Ace's POV

Mesaal-sama, Chris and I walked out of the office and through the village. "Buildings have been modified since I last looked at the world." I comment.

"I know, that was part of the reason why I thought you should come and see it for yourself." Mesaal-sama stated as we neared a stage. "Do you think I should take my mask off?"

"Yes." Me and Chris said in unison.

"You two are so weird. I'm not that pretty that you need to see my face twenty-four/seven." Mesaal-sama sweat dropped at the two of us.

"We can have this conversation later, you two stay here and I'll get my yukata on." Chris said as he entered a shelter next to the stage.

"Mhm."

"Ok." Mesaal-sama started taking her mask off as I leaned on the wall. Mesaal-sama leaned on the wall next to me after her mask was down.

"So, how do you like it so far?"

"I haven't seen much, but it's not that bad."

"Not that bad? It's an improvement from when you used to live here."

"Perhaps, but people still haven't evolved that much." I shrugged.

"I suppose that's true. I've seen much more advanced buildings than these."

"Is the Leaf really that advanced?"

"I'm not talking about the Leaf, but it's better than this mainly because they have more resources."

"Then where and what are you talking about?"

"Maybe you'll find out one day, but you will most likely never know." Mesaal-sama ended the conversation there and Chris walked out in a black yukata much like my own, but with white flames going from the bottom to top. His unruly blond hair neatened out a bit. "There, you look like you did when we were younger." Mesaal-sama stands up straight as I do.

"You do too."

"I think you have short-term memory loss. When we were younger, I covered my right eye with my hair and I was shorter. Not to mention a lot more innocent." Chris just stared at Mesaal-sama with a deadpan expression.

"Right. Because I was totally going to identify each and every detail from about seven years ago."

"First off, it was only about four years ago. Second off, those were only three details. Third off, Zaza was able to recognise me from five or so years again."                   

"I'm glad someone remembers all your exact details, though, who's 'Zaza'?"

"Who was. He was a good man who died recently on the new bridge in the Land of the Waves." Mesaal-sama explained as we walked onto the stairs of the stage.

"You two stay here." Chris orders as he walks onto the stage. "Welcome, ladies and gents to the Star Festival! Where we celebrate our very special star that created our land! But before the festival starts, I have a special guest that the newest generation won't know! I present to you our own Mesaal Yukini!" Chris shouted and cheers erupted from the crowd as Mesaal-sama walked on stage.

"Hey you bunch of old guys!" Mesaal-sama's face was blessed with a toothy grin as she waved at the crowd. "I bet you all missed me!"

Multiple 'Yeah!'s and 'Of course we did!'s were heard.

"Without further ado, let's start the festival!" One single firework was shot off and people started going everywhere.

"Hey, Ace, you ready to enjoy your first festival of the century?" Mesaal-sama asks as she comes up to me.