¤ 3 ¤

It must have been the longest and noisiest week I've ever lived. With Alex constantly nagging at the maids, screaming at every little movement and complaining about everything from the weather to his work, without forgetting the too hot cup of tea or the too bitter medicine, he was becoming more unbearable than ever, if that was even possible.

It was only until a week after his incident that he regained full consciousness. His despicable personnality seemed to have taken a good rest as well before coming back stronger than ever. The clock stroke five in the afternoon, when I  was seated by the balcony in one of our guest rooms as my dear husband requested my presence by his side. The room was very quiet at the exception of a boring conversation about the company's next deal between Alex and his bodyguard and right-hand Sam.

"So which one of you is going to explain to me what happened exactly ?" I said loudly enough to attract their attention. Alex looked bothered as if he wanted to keep it a secret. I was starting to believe that he was purposely hiding things from me at this point.

"All right I think you have the right to know after all" said Alex, "I had an important meeting that day, so I made sure to stop by the office and sign some papers before heading to the other side of the city. Once I had finished I called out for the driver and took the elevator down to the parking lot. Everything went so fast Emma, the moment we emerged from the parking, shooting started. One of the bodyguard who was sitting on my left side died, he received the bullet right in his head. He died in my arms... we managed to escape and came straight home after that."

I stayed silent for a couple of minutes in order to proceed the information I just received in my brain. "Do you know who was the shooter? And why were they after you ?" I had so many questions in my head at that moment but somehow these two seemed to be the most urgent and important ones.

"Well, we still haven't been able to identify the shooter, it seems that it was a sniper and a very well trained one" Sam answered back. "We were able to locate the building from where he was positioned, but he had already left when my men arrived there."

I could swear at that moment that I felt cold drops of sweat travel down my spine. This seemed far more serious and more dangerous than what I  expected. I'm sure fear was clearly visible on my face, and as if they were able to read my mind, Alex said something right after which put me both at ease and discomfort at the same time "don't worry Emma, our house is one of the safest places in the city and besides I've already hired a personal bodyguard for you. He will be next to you 24/7 and will follow you around wherever you go."

"Oh God you can't be serious right now" I stood up so quickly that my chair fell behind me.
"I do appreciate it Alex but this is going too far, I don't need to have every one of my actions watched all day long." The words came out a bit harsher and louder than what I wanted but I was really frustrated at that point. He knew how much I hated to be in that house full of his men. My private space was already invaded enough on a daily basis, and now what? A personal bodyguard? That was too much.

"Emma dear, shall I remind you who makes the laws in this house? Besides it's for you own safety and for my peace of mind. I'll have to go back to the company in the upcoming days and you'll be here by yourself. I agreed on keeping the men outside to give you enough space during the day but you have to keep this one close to your tail whether you like it or not." And with that Alex turned his back on me and resumed talking about business and contracts with Sam. This was his way of shutting me off, his way of displaying his authority and showing off his power. With time I learned that arguing with him was pointless; a waste of time and breath.

I put the chair back in its initial place and decided to go back to my room, I was clearly useless in this one.

"Oh one more thing Emma" Alex said which made me stop my tracks right at the door, "Your personal bodyguard will start his job tomorrow morning, I'll introduce you to him as soon as you wake up."

Without answering I left the room, exhausted both mentally and physically and hurried to my bed.
It was still early but I felt as if I didn't sleep in a million years. The lights were off and it was soon dusk in the pale Autumn sky.. that day I drifted off to sleep with memories of my childhood, wishing I could go back to the time where I still had a home and a family.