¤ 5 ¤

My lungs felt smaller, no one could hear me no matter how much I screamed and sobbed... seconds felt like hours and my body was getting weaker, my legs could barely hold me up and my eye lids were heavier... and for a moment, I saw my life going before my eyes and remembered: I still had people who loved me dearly and cared for me, so with the last dose of energy I had left in me, I elbowed my aggressor hard enough for him to lose his balance and stumble back a little bit.

I knew that he would come back after me the moment I opened the door of the red room, but I refused to give up, If was to die today I'd die fighting back, I'd die on my own terms... I ran as fast as my weak legs could do, but the man caught up to me and yanked me by my hair...

"That's it, that's the end for me." I thought to myself knees on the floor, crying silently expecting to feel the rope against my neck again, or the striking pain of knife ripping my stomach apart, but what I heard instead was a cracking sound and a loud thud on the floor...

I turned around slowly; too scared and unsure if I really wanted to witness the scene behind me, but it was as if my body moved on its own. My aggressor was lying on the floor, dead I presumed, and another man was standing behind the corpse breathing heavily... and as if it was too much for my brain to process what was happening, my head started spinning and the last thing I saw was the man running towards me shouting my name.

___________________________

The first thing I felt was a strong circling pain around my neck, my throat was burning so much I could barely breathe without sounding like a dying motorcycle. I opened my eyes slowly to be met by the familiar ceiling of my room. I hoped all of it was nothing but a nightmare, but I knew from the pain and the massive headache I had that every bit of it was real.

I turned my head slowly and examined the room, the curtains were pulled apart and I noticed that it was already night time. I slept throughout the day I guess. Mrs. Lee who was sitting on the canopy jumped on her feet the moment she noticed I was up and run towards me "You shouldn't get up Mrs. Emma; your body is still weak;"

I opened my mouth to answer back, but a weak hissing sound was all I managed to emit. "Here, I prepared you a warm drink; it should ease the pain away quickly" I held the cup with both hands and drank what seemed to be one of Mrs. Lee's grandma recipe made of honey and milk. And she was right, my throat felt a slightly better after a few minutes and I could talk again, or rather whisper a few words.

"I'll go inform young Master that you are up." And as much as I disliked the idea of seeing him I had too many questions in my head that I needed to ask.

Mrs. Lee left and I went to the bathroom to look at myself; my neck was wrapped in bandages, I couldn't see the damage done but I was sure I'd end up with a pretty purple scar once they take them off. The door was opened suddenly with such a force that it hit the wall with a loud sound. I hurried out of the bathroom, not too curious about who had done it, I knew Alex would be furious.. after all I, myself felt guilty for not following the orders for once.

He stood in the middle of the room with Sam, Jin and the man I recognized from this morning behind him. "Alex I'm...." I was cut off in the middle of my sentence when Alex's hand met my cheek in a slap so strong it pushed my already weakened body to floor. I was used to his physical abuse by now, what I wasn't used to however, was having the honor of being humiliated in front of an audience, for Jin was someone I respected and cared for deeply. I stood back up on my feet and felt the burning tears escalate to my eyes when I met Alex's furious gaze on me but I refused to cry in front of him or anyone else. Jin was holding the unknown man by his arm as if to prevent him from moving. Sam leaned in and whispered something to Alex, to which the latter nodded. Sam then turned on his feet, and holding both Jin and the man by their shoulders gestured for them to leave.

I met Jin's worried eyes as he turned back one last time and gave him a reassuring smile, a way of telling him that I was okay, that Alex would not hurt me more than that.

"Listen to me very well, this is the last time I say this" Alex took a step forward raising his voice as he always does, a way of showing me who was in control, "Disobey my orders once again and I will personally burry your body with my bare hands" He shouted and kept on hitting my shoulder with his hand. "Have I made it clear?"

All I could do was nodding my head; I was sure that if I opened my mouth I'd break down if front of him. Alex turned his back on me and left the room as fast as he came in, leaving the door wide open for me to see Jin holding the stranger by his shoulders against the corridor's wall. Alex glanced at them before leaving with Sam. As soon as they left Jin came running to my side and engulfed me in the warmth of his arms and chest and it was all it took for me to fall into pieces and cry in his arms.

"Shhhhhhh, it's okay, I'm here now, you can let it all out." Jin's comforting words encouraged me to cry harder against him. I was sobbing like a child without restraints or shame, not caring how I looked in their eyes.

The room fell quiet again after a moment and I realized, once my cries died in my throat that we were actually sitting on the floor. "Your shirt is soaked now, I'm sorry." I said looking at Jin

"Silly girl, that's the least of my concerns, come let's get your face freshened up." He stood up first and secured one hand around my waist helping to get on my feet too. He disappeared for a few seconds before coming back with an ice pack in his hands and gently placed it against my cheek, causing me to retract my head back at the contact. "You'll feel better don't move." Jin placed his hand on one cheek and put more pressure on the ice pack with the other one. I was sitting on top of the counter looking at my feet; I was too ashamed to look up... "Did he do this before?" Jin asked me after a long silence rather hesitant.

I couldn't answer him, what was I supposed to tell him? That I've received a beating from time to time whenever Alex was furious? I guess I was lucky this time people were around us otherwise I would've ended up with much more than a sore cheek.

"He did a couple times." I couldn't keep the truth from Jin but I didn't want to give a full list of all the things I endured in the past. "That bastard!" both Jin and I were surprised to hear the man standing by the door speaking for the first time since I saw him, and most of all his first words were an insult!

I looked up and saw the man watching us with concerned eyes, "I wish you two met in different circumstances" said Jin averting my gaze towards him "This is Jeon Jungkook, your bodyguard"

The man took a step towards me and extended his hand "I am glad I came on time Mrs. Emma, and I'm relieved to see that you are doing well."

I took his hand in mine which was huge compared to my small one, "I could never thank you enough, I owe you my life." And as soon as I said those words, Jungkook the man who so far had been harboring a worried expression on his face broke into the brightest smile I had ever seen...

"All right kids, you'll have all the time to get to know each other later, but for now Emma, as your doctor I would advise you to eat something and sleep as much as you can."

"Can I shower, please? I won't take the bandages off I promise, I just need to freshen up." I said with pleading eyes. "You can, Jungkook and I will wait outside and I'll ask for Mrs. Lee to bring you dinner once you finish." He kissed my head and both of them left afterwards.

_______________

After eating as much food as my poor throat could swallow, I changed into a pair of leggings and a comfy sweatshirt. The shirt I wore this morning was covered in blood... I must've been bleeding a lot...

Jin prescribed me some pain killers which I gladly took and here I was lying down in bed for an hour or so without being able to sleep... The room was completely dark, the lights were off, the clock was striking 2 am and the only source of light I had was the corridor's small lanterns which I knew Mrs. Lee had left on probably because she knew I'd be scared...

I looked at the door and couldn't stop my mind from going back to this morning, it was the same inside the red room; I was alone, it was dark, the door was shut... I remembered the cold fingers on my neck and the sharp object cutting my skin, I remembered my lungs burning, asking for air and my eyes watering.

I was soon overwhelmed by my emotions and started breathing heavily ... I wanted to call for Jin, to ask for help... someone, anyone, I felt the panic built up inside of me and before I knew it I was shouting loud enough to wake up the whole neighborhood.