Chapter 23

Akruti Arora

'What...no....n-no...it's not true. I couldn't be the cause of someone being orphan. No..they're just bluffing...yeah that's it', mumbling this in my mind I tried to reassure my self.

"They loved her like their own child, those two were the exact example of husband and wife. They loved all the children equally, be it their own or not. They were the purest souls, the same goes for their kids. Well mannered and well behaved. But look at what has destiny done to them. I want those two sinners to be caught give them the necessary forfeit, then I'll personally go visit those kids. Even they'll be missing us, their parents and Akruti.", Nanu confessed. Everyone's eyes were filled with tears. And Nani wiped her tears away.

'Because of me...because of me...two people died....no...no...', tears started building up my eyes. I scrambled towards my room. Shutting the door, I slumped myself against the door, whilst the tears started trickling on their own.

Suddenly my phone rang. Yanking it from my clutch, I saw Nila's name flashing. I dabbed my tears off. Making sure my voice wasn't cracking, I answered the call.

"Hello, Akru..where are you?? You told me you'll pick me up. The party is going to start, hurry up." I heard Nila speaking from the other end.

'Shit...I forgot about her totally'.

"Umm...Nila...an urgent work came up at the last moment. Can you bring it to yourself? I'll reach the venue directly. Is that okay with you?", I asked her making sure my voice doesn't crack.

"Yeah sure I can....but Akru are you okay...you sound low....did something happens or did anyone tell you something." , Nila sounded concerned.

"Y-yeah..I'm totally okay...I'll be there in few minutes", telling this I cut the call. Suddenly I felt bad, I promised her I would pick her up, but I broke it. Opening the Uber app I booked a cab for her and messaged her the details. I was sitting,  just lost in my thoughts.

I heard the door of my room being knocked.

"Chicken little are you ready? Else you'll be late for the party. ", I heard Sahil's voice.

"Yes. I'm ready Sahil. Just last-minute touch-ups". Mumbling, I looked myself into the mirror. Thank God all my make-ups were waterproof. I was about to unlock the door when something clicked. I packed night suits and clothes for two days in a duffle bag.

'Yes, I'll stay at Nila's for two days.', reckoning this I opened my door.  

"Hey what's with the bag? Going to get married huh? Not bad", Sahil laughed at me. 

"Like hell, I'll do a runaway marriage. I'm staying at Nila's for two days. It's about the forthcoming project. So it will be easy for us to work together", I replied. 

"But she can come here right?"

"It won't be fare Sahil. It's always she, who's coming her and not the other way round. So I came up with this idea." 

"Yeah, you're right". 

We headed downstairs. I informed my family about my stay at Nila's. Everyone was okay with it. They praised me saying how beautiful I look.

But I heard nothing because their previous talk kept playing in my mind in a repeat mode. Bidding them goodbye I headed towards the venue in my car. 

It was such a grand event. All the decorations screamed richness. The moment I reached the venue everyone grew quiet. 

'Why is there something on my face? But I checked myself on the mirror, I was looking good only' I thought.