Chapter Six

Gulf was a little nervous. It was his first big game and everybody counted on him. He always did well during practices, but this was different. There was a lot of pressure. He didn't want to let anyone down.

"Hey, Gulf. Are you nervous?". It was Zee, warming himself up while looking expectantly at the benches.

"Uhm...". He didn't want to sound lame, but Zee didn't seem like the kind of guy who would have made fun of him. "That's ok. We've all been there. The obstacle of the first game. But you're going to be ok, you're our secret weapon".

Gulf nodded, not sure if Zee's speech had reduced or increased his apprehension. When his friend took another look at the benches, Gulf smiled, while flexing his muscles. "Relax. Saint is probably coming with some corny thing to be your perfect cheerleader".

Caught off-guard, Zee blushed hard, looking away to hide his embarassment. "I wasn't...".

Just then, Saint and the others appeared, making a fuss as usual. Saint winked at him and leaned towards his boyfriend, hands on the fences. "You look nice like this".

Zee smiled confidently. "Can I get a kiss for good luck?".

Mild leaned on Gulf's shoulder, almost scaring him. "Jealous much?".

Gulf raised his eyebrow. "What? No".

Mild looked at him, not convinced. "You could probably ask him".

Gulf followed his gaze and realized Mew and Tong had just arrived. Should he say hello? The terms of their relationship were still a little unclear. "It's totally different".

Mew's eyes suddenly darted over him, and Gulf hold eye contact. He even got a glimpse of his crooked smile. Tong noticed their little moment and could not stop himself from calling Gulf: "Hey, new boy. Come here".

Mew rolled his eyes: "He has a name, you know".

Surprised, Tong giggled: "I'm aware of that. I don't think Gulf took it the wrong way, right?".

Gulf bit his lip, feeling a little awkward all of a sudden. "It's okay". He stared at Mew for a second, trying to figure out why he looked annoyed all of a sudden. "Well...the game's starting. Gotta go". Tong gave him a thumb up, and nudged Mew, who simply stayed with his hands in his pockets without saying anything.

When the game started, Gulf forced himself not to look in Mew's direction. He needed to be completely focused on the game. At least this thing in his life needed to go as smoothly as possible.

"Gulf!" Mild passed the ball sideways and Gulf easily freed himself from the other strikers, starting to run like hell. Everyone was either screaming or holding his breath, probably expecting him to mess it up somehow. But Gulf was pretty good at hitting the goal, even from afar.

"You did it. OH MY GOD". Mild climbed on his back and Zee did a victory dance around him with the rest of the team.

During the break, Gulf grabbed his water bottle, dumping some water on himself to cool his head a little. He didn't expect to hear some girls screaming his name in adoration.

"Look at him. He already has a little fan club right there". Mew tried to ignore Tong, who was trying to annoy him. But he didn't even started yet. "Why so grumpy? Are you jealous? It's not like you two are together or something...".

Gulf arrived at the least appropriate time, still drinking his water and running his fingers through his hair. Mew quickly looked away. "Hey superstar. I knew you were good, but this is a whole other level". Gulf smiled, proud of himself. "Mew, don't you have anything to say?".

Mew avoided his elbow nudging him and glared. "Don't push it. He's probably playing coy".

Now Mew stared directly at him, with those steely eyes."I'm just watching the game. It's not like I'm here for you".

A great silence fell over the three of them for a handful of seconds. Jesus, he was just joking. "Clearly. Well, I have to go back". Gulf only waved at Tong, running back to the field.

For the rest of the game, Gulf was not as focused as before but, all things considered, he played well enough. When he was about to go back to the locker room, someone stopped him by the wrist. "Tong, I need to take a shower".

He nodded. "Yeah, I just wanted to say that...it's probably my fault. What Mew said, I mean".

Gulf sighed, he didn't want to think about him right now. He still felt a little humiliated. "He's a grown up. I think he's able to speak for himself".

Gulf's answer was just as vitriolic as the one from Mew. Tong smiled at him, pleasantly surprised. But then he went back to apologize: "I know, but this time I pushed him too much".

Gulf really wanted to stay mad and go back with his head held high. But when he saw Mew all alone, he knew he wanted to talk to him. "What's up with the long face?".

Mew was surprised to see Gulf, even more when he sat in the bench right next to him. "You think you're sexy with those sunglasses, all by yourself?" Mew did not even tried to keep sulking. Gotcha. "You smiled. I guess nobody can stay mad when they see my innocent face".

This time, Mew raised his eyebrow. "Innocent? I doubt it".

Gulf licked his lips and Mew's eyes automatically moved to his mouth. "I never said I was innocent too".

After a few seconds, Mew came to his senses, remembering how much of a jerk he'd been. "Why are you here? I was a dick before. I'm...I'm sorry". It seemed like Mew genuinely regretted his words.

Considering he wasn't expecting apologies at all, Gulf was glad to go back to their usual flirting. "Yeah, you were. But you can always make it up to me".

It didn't take long for Mew to go back to his usual self. "Is that so?".

Gulf felt Mew's hand traveling along his hip, squeezing it a little bit. Gult came a little closer, making the atmosphere even more intimate. "Well, I played very well, so I think I deserve my reward".

They looked at each other and ended up laughing at the same time. Then Mew brushed his lips on his neck, the other hand caressing his thigh. His eyes filled with rising passion as he came closer and closer, until he was less than an inch away from him. "We can go if you want".

Gulf smirked back to him, thinking about how he already hated the idea of not always be able to lighten up his mood. "So impatient. I need to shower first".

He tried to stand up, but Mew quickly stopped him with his arms, Gulf ending up on his lap. Gulf laughed, trying to stand up up, and failing. "I recommend to shower together".

The idea of a Mew dripping with water was too much to bear. "Uhm, we'll se about that".

Gulf's breath hitched because of Mew pressing his knee against his. "Let's go". There was no way he could say no.