Chapter Fourteen

Things were better now. Every time he bumped into Mew, Gulf was still a little awkward but he hoped the situation would improve with time. He knew he wasn't the only one feeling like this: Mew looked at him strangely every time Mild stopped and talked with Run and the others. He couldn't help but notice how Mew and Tong were not talking to each other but it wasn't his place to ask, now more than ever.

"Hey Gulf, my birthday is coming and you're invited of course". Saint shushed him before he could come up with an excuse. "Don't even try. I'll be upset if you don't come. And you don't want to see me like that".

Zee looked at Gulf with pleading eyes. "You really don't want to".

Saint laughed, giving a nudge to his boyfriend. "Also, you don't need to worry about him. He'll be fine...I think he would have invited you if he weren't so stubborn. Well, you both are".

Zee glared at Saint. "Babe, don't get involved...".

Gulf smiled, trying not to blush at the thought of Mew actually missing him. "It's okay. I'll...think about it".

Saint bit his lip. "All right, I'll take what I can get". Saint noticed Gulf's smile suddenly vanish, and his face turning paler. "Gulf?".

Mew was trying to bring himself to talk to Gulf, and when he finally got close enough, Gulf was the one pulling away. "Uhm...I'm sorry, I have to go".

Mew watched him walking away in a hurry. "Did I do something wrong?".

Saint shook his head, a concerned look on his face. "No, it's not about you".

Mew raised his eyebrow, sensing Saint knew more than he let on. "Do you know something?".

Saint was hesitant and Mew caught him looking someone in particular. "Who's that? An...ex?". Mew lowered his voice because he didn't want to draw his attention. He hoped Saint would not notice the tiny hint of jealousy in his voice.

"Not...exactly". This vague answer worried Mew even more. "Saint, please. You're killing me here".

Zee caressed his boyfriend's shoulder, trying to convince him too. "You know he won't let you go until you tell him. He's worried".

Mew didn't even try to deny his best friend's words, which did the trick to convince Saint. "Okay. Actually, I don't know the full story, so you'll have to talk with Gulf anyway". Mew nodded. "He's one of our classmates from high school. The two of them played together for the soccer team. They were...kind of inseparable back then".

Mew did his best not to wince, considering it wasn't the right time to act childishly. "So...why did he ran away like that?". Mew knew he was showing his impatience but he was really worried about him.

"There was a scandal during our senior year. Someone leaked a photo of the two of them kissing in the soccer field. Neng's family didn't take it well at all. Last thing I know, Gulf took a gap year without saying anything to anyone". Mew felt stupid for actually being jealous about the whole thing. "Wait Mew, where are you going?" He turned around just to look at his friends. "I have to check on him".

When Mew finally found him, Gulf was all alone, sitting on a bench. There was no practice that day, so no one was bothering him. "I should have known you would be here".

Surprised, Gulf looked at Mew, who sat quietly next to him. "Why are you here?".

Mew gently pushed his shoulder against his. "What do you think?".

Gulf smiled slighty, the sadness of his eyes painfully clear to Mew. "Saint told you?".

Mew nodded. "Don't be mad at him. I..kind of forced him.".

Gulf bit his lip. "I'm not mad. I'm just...ashamed".

Mew brushed his hand against his. "Why should you be ashamed?".

Gulf sighed, torturing one of his fingernails. "I don't know, I suddenly feel like that day. It was horrible. Everyone was judging me, and he also made me look bad to protect himself. I wasn't even going to kiss him at first but he was flirting with me the whole time. I just knew he liked me". Mew took his hand between his own to show his support and to calm him down a little. "I'm better now, the gap year really helped me to unwind. But back then...I was still dealing with the fact that I like boys. I thought there was something seriously wrong with me". Gulf didn't want to be so vulnerable but his voice cracked and he could not hold back his tears anymore.

Mew took his face in his hands, wiping some of the tears with his thumbs. He desperately tried to nail his eyes on his. "Hey, look at me. There's nothing wrong with you. Do you hear me?". Gulf nodded, though not completely convinced. "On the contrary...you're kind of perfect".

Gulf's heart skipped a beat. Mew didn't even blink, so Gulf was sure he heard it right. "Mew...".

Mew shushed him and held him tight in his arms. "C'mere".