Chapter Eighteen

Once inside Mew's house, the first thing Gulf noticed was an adorable collection of family photos. "Oh my God, is that you?".

Gulf took the photo in his hands, while Mew tried to steal it away. "I don't know why my parents keep these embarassing photos in plain sight".

Gulf smiled, returning him the frame. "I'm glad they did. Look at those cheeks".

Mew wanted to say something but seeing him so excited he couldn't help but smile too. "Now you have to show me your photos too. To make it even".

At that very moment a cute and loud pomeranian ran towards Mew, stopping at his feets, asking for attention. "Chopper, I missed you!".

Gulf had never seen him so genuinely happy without reservation. They were so cute, to the point Gulf was about to take a picture of the two. Then the dog looked at him suspiciously, trying to sniff him from a distance. "I don't think he likes me very much".

Mew giggled. "He hasn't tried to bite you yet, I think we can safely call it a win".

Gulf laughed when he came closer to Mew and he started barking. "I don't think he wants to share you with me".

Mew put Chopper down, and moved his arm around Gulf's shoulders. "It doesn't matter, he'll have to get used to it". He winked at Gulf, who was lost in thoughts for a few seconds. Mew suddenly realized what he had just said, his cheeks getting a little more pink than usual. "I mean...".

Then Mew's mother came out of the kitchen, a sweet smile framing her face. "What are you doing standing there? Lunch is almost ready. Gulf, I hope you're hungry, because Jom and I have cooked for an army".

Just then Gulf's stomach started rumbling, his ears turning red. Mew laughed, rubbing his tummy istinctively. "Guess he doesn't need to answer that".

His mom smiled looking at the couple and then stroke her son's shoulder to catch his attention. "Why don't you show him the garden in the meantime?".

Mew softly kissed her forehead, nodding. "Let me know if you need anything".

He placed his hand on Gulf's back, gently guiding him outside. "This place is amazing. I don't know how you can survive in our dorm after growing up in a place like this".

Mew smiled, walking beside him. "I know it'll sound cocky but I don't care about luxury. Of course it feels good...not having to worry too much about money. And I love my parents, I really do, but moving out of here was the best thing that ever happened to me. I needed my freedom, even if I still feel like I have to prove so much to them. It's not an easy task being their son, so many expectations on my shoulders".

Gulf suddenly stopped, sitting on a swing. He placed his hands on Mew's hips, pulling him closer. Mew looked down on him, a slight smile on his lips. "I think you're too hard on yourself. You're doing a good job, as a student and as a son. You're crazy smart, you'll probably graduate with honors".

Mew was pleased, he wasn't used to be praised for his brain, people were usually focused on his appearance and nothing else. He leaned in, holding on the chains of the swing. "Stop doing that".

Gulf frowned, confused. "What?".

Mew's face was close to his, his eyes glued to Gulf's. "Making me feel special. Or else...".

Gulf's heartbeat was racing but he tried to play it cool. "Or else?".

A scream from a distance forced them to snap out of their bubble. Mew cleared his throat, offering him a hand. "I think it's ready". Gulf nodded, taking his hand to get up. He hid his smile while Mew kept on squeezing it instead of letting it go.

"So Gulf, did you like the little tour?". Mew's mom served him some Pad Thai, who smelled delicious. He was so taken by his conversation with Mew that he had almost forgotten how hungry he was. Gulf smiled her appreciatively. "Yes, you have a beautiful house".

Jom grinned, she was looking at the two of them for a while now. "Big bro, I think he's waiting for the bedroom tour though".

Mew glared at her, while Gulf almost chocked on his food. "Are you okay dear?" Mew's mom patted Gulf's back, while Mew's dad served him some water. "Thank you, I'm fine".

Jom smiled innocently, ready for another round of 'how to embarrass your brother in two sentences or less'. "Mom and I did the chicken version because Mew told us you're allergic to some fish, so he called us immediately to make sure we didn't poison his precious boyfriend".

Mew blushed, clearing his throat violently. " I did not...I mean, I just wanted to let you know...".

Gulf smiled shyly, actually impressed. "You remember that?".

Mew turned his head and nodded, like it was the most natural thing in the whole world. "Of course I do. You almost had an allergic reaction when Run tried to cook that disgusting shrimp soup".

Gulf laughed, remembering that episode all too well. "It's not funny, you were scratching your neck like a crazy person".

Gulf gave his shoulder a little push. "Yeah, likely you had an antihistamine at hand. My hero". Mew rolled his eyes, already feeling self-conscious in front of his family.

"You seem like a good fit".

Surprisingly, it was Mew's dad talking, which made Gulf feel even prouder. Even if they weren't actually boyfriends.

But the lovely atmosphere was ruined by one of Mew's cousin, who hadn't said anything until that moment. "So you finally found someone new after the disaster of the last one". He laughed to himself, clearly drunk from the look of his face.

Everybody fell silent, while Mew visibly tensed up. "I think you had too much to drink". Mew's dad sounded authoritarian, while still keeping his manners. Now Gulf knew where Mew got the tougher parts of his personality. Mew's cousin stopped his laughter but he was still not apologizing. Jealous much? 

Gulf put his hand on Mew's, caught up in a new-found overprotective mode. "He must have been blind to let this one go". To reinforce what he had just said, he squeezed Mew's hand, looking at him with fierce determination. He hated seeing him so insecure - especially if it was because of stupid people like his cousin. He wanted him to be carefree, just like he was a few minutes before.

Jom smiled at Gulf, more grateful than he could even imagine. "So, who wants some pie?".