Chapter Twelve

Gulf had done everything he could to avoid Mew. He knew he had plans with Lynn and his friends and did not want to be a part of it. He was tired of pretending to be in good terms with Lynn because he had never been a good liar. So the best thing he could to do was avoiding the circumstances altogether.

"Hey, this is a party, no pouting. You promised to have fun with me tonight".

Gulf looked at his best friend and nodded, he needed to unwind. "You're right, let's dance".

Mild raised an eyebrow. "Whoa, what have you done with my best friend?".

Gulf chuckled, stopping in the middle of the dance floor. "Shut up and dance before I change my mind".

Mild laughed, starting moving with him at the rhythm of the music. "Yuhuu, Kanawut, you've got moves". 

Mild started shouting and Gulf rolled his eyes. "Seriously, remind me again why we're friends".

Mild smiled widely, squeezing his shoulders. "Because I liven up your life".

That was when he recognized a figure not too far from them. It was Mew, wearing an unbottoned shirt like usual, drinking his cocktail while talking with...Lynn, of course. Gulf could now feel his repressed anger coming to the surface. But nothing compared to when Lynn put his glass on the counter and threw herself in his arms to kiss him.

Gulf should not have been surprised, considering she wasn't exactly subtle with her real intentions with Mew. Still, he'd really hoped to never see him kissing someone else with his own eyes. He felt sick, so he immediately turned around, stealing Mild's drink.

"Hey, what...?". Mild stopped mid-sentence, looking beyond his shoulders. "Oh".

When he turned to look at his best friend, Gulf was already with two shots in his hands. "Woah, Gulf. You don't hold your liquor well, why don't you..." but Gulf shushed him, drinking the shots in one go.

Mild studied him, concerned. "Do you want to go home or...?".

Gulf shook his head, feeling a little dizzy already. "What? It's still early, grandpa".

He stumbled on a stranger, apologizing with a giggle. "Gulf, please, let's go...".

He kept shaking his head and then bumped into someone else. This time the stranger's chest was a little too familiar. "You". He pointed a finger at Mew, angrily.

Mew stared at him in confusion. "Have you been drinking? You're really bad at it".

Gulf snorted, looking away. "I don't need a lecture, especially from you". Mew frowned, trying to reach for him. "Just leave me alone, for fuck's sake". Gulf had never raised his voice at Mew before but all the feelings he had bottled up were finally coming out, in the worst possible way of course. "Didn't you already find a fill-in anyway?". Gulf nearly fell to the ground, overwhelmed by the heat in the room, his own anger, and the alcohol which was kicking in.

Both Mild and Mew helped him standing. "He should go home. I'll take him".

Mild stopped him by the wrist. "I think you've done enough. I can do it". Mild tried to carry him instead but it was pretty obvious he could not do it alone.

"Please, let me help". Seeing his pleading eyes, Mild gave in. "Ok but...no funny business".

Mew glared at him, a little insulted by his insinuation. "Of course not".

When they finally arrived at Gulf's room, Mew made him lie down as gently as possible, despite Gulf's drunk protests. He unscrewed the cap of a water bottle, trying his best to make him drink it. "Mmmh". He sat next to him, trying again. "Please Gulf, you need to drink a little".

Not without puffing and muttering, Gulf finally drank the water, in small sips. "Feeling better?".

Gulf grunted, a little sleepy. "...still...shit".

Mew would have laughed if he wasn't still shaken up by their last conversation. When he started unbottening Gulf's shirt, the younger one tried to break free from his touch. "Gulf, you smell badly. You need to change, I'm not doing anything inappropriate, I promise". Gulf fell silent, letting him continue.

When Gulf remained in boxers, Mew came back with a wet towel, rubbing it on Gulf's skin. Gulf looked at him while the other was focused on the task, he wanted to say so many things but was also tired as hell. Mew saw him batting his eyes, trying to stay awake, so he helped him getting his pajamas on.

"Mmmh". Gulf complained, probably still feeling nauseous.

"Ssh, I'm here". He stroke his hair so gently that Gulf put his head back on his pillow, falling asleep sooner than he thought.

........................................................................

When Gulf woke up, Mew was sleeping with his arms near him, sitting on the floor. Flashes of the night before came back to his mind, in no particular order. His head hurt and his throat was drier than the desert. He slowly got out of his bed, filling a glass with water. While he was drinking, he saw Mew move his eyes, slowly realizing where he was. He stood up, massaging his butt. His attention was immediately on Gulf. "How you feelin'?".

Gulf scratched his head. "Not great".

Mew nodded and the whole room fell silent for a few minutes. Mew tortured his hands but then decided to speak up first: "I didn't want to kiss her".

Gulf bit his lip, feeling uneasy. He had slept on it but now it was like he was seeing them again, hating the way she had held him like he was hers. But the funny thing was...Mew wasn't his either. "Mew, I can't do this anymore". Mew's eyes immediately moved on him. "I'm not a robot. All this situation is just making me feel like crap". Mew opened his mouth to say something but Gulf stopped him. "I'm not the "casual-kind-of-guy". I liked you, so I thought I could make it work somehow. But I really don't want to feel this way every time someone tries to have a claim on you. Because...who am I after all?". He swallowed, it was becoming difficult to keep talking. "So I think it's best to put an end to...whatever this is".

Gulf looked away, he wanted to be strong and seeing the hurt in Mew's eyes was becoming unbearable. "I.." Mew looked down at the floor for a moment, trying to collect his thoughts. "I'm sorry if I made you feel miserable".

Gulf didn't want him to think it was all bad, because it wasn't. Still he could not say that to him, without risking to choke on his words.

"Maybe we can be friends". Gulf felt stupid even asking him but the thought of never talking to him again was too much.

Mew stared at him, indecisive. "...maybe".