Chapter Thirteen

Mew was sitting in the same table for a while now. He was doing some outdoor studying, something he usually hated because he was someone who would easily get distracted. However, this time was different: this time he hoped to see him. He knew he had soccer practice because Zee had it too. They didn't really talked after they decided to end things. Actually Gulf was the one who decided it but he didn't object to his request. Apparently he had hurt him too much already, unintentionally. So he could at least respect his decision now. Still, he wanted to make sure he was okay.

"Not creepy at all, you stalker". Taken aback, Mew looked up, seeing Saint and the others sitting in front or next to him. "I have to say, you're too colorful to blend in. Next time, try the good old black outfit". Saint immediately realized that something was off. "Are you ok?".

Mew nodded, unconvinced. "I'm not stalking anyone. Actually, we're not really seeing each other anymore".

Everybody stayed silent for a minute but then Tong spoke up: "What did you do this time?".

Saint and Boat glared at him. Mew stared at his best friend, a bitter smile escaping his mouth. "Because it's obviously all on me, right?". Lately Tong had been a pain in the ass, more than usual. They had been through so much together but he could not help but think something was on his mind and was constantly taking it on him. Mew used to do it too, their friendship worked like that.

"Seriously, Mew? Do you want me to believe it was Gulf's fault? As if ". Tong's sarcasm was getting on Mew's last nerve.

"Could you please shut up? You don't know what you're talking about". Mew clenched his fist, in the hope of controlling his urge to do something he'll regret for sure.

"Guys..." Saint tried to get between them but Tong was unrelenting. "You're so full of shit, Mew. You don't understand how lucky you are. He's not just an ordinary hook-up".

Mew stood up, slamming his fist on the table. "Believe me, I know that".

Run gave Tong a push with his shoulder. "Man, why are you getting so worked up? It's his business".

Mew clenched his jaw, challenging Tong with his eyes: "Yeah. Why?".

Tong didn't answer right away, which alarmed Mew even more. "Don't worry, I'm not Deer".

Saint opened his eyes wide, as if he had just brought up Voldemort. Mew's eyes became icy, which was worse than punching him in the face. Tong immediately regretted saying his name. "I'm sorr...".

Mew glared at him and if looks could kill, Tong would be dead already. "Just go away. All of you".

When Mew was about to leave his spot, Lynn stopped him by the wrist. "There you are. I was looking for you everywhere".

Mew ran his fingers through his hair, still upset about his fight with Tong. "Lynn, this isn't the time".

However, Lynn didn't want to let it go, so he stopped him again, standing in front of him to keep him from getting away. "It's because of Gulf? I don't know what he told you to make me look bad, but it's not true."

Mew frowned, having no idea of what she was referring to. "Gulf didn't tell me a thing. What you're talking about?".

Mew had never seen Lynn so worked up about someone. "I don't know what you see in him. He's so...ordinary. You can have so much more".

She was angry but she still blushed because of her sudden confession. Of course this information was not completely new to Mew, despite his attempts not to get her hopes up over the years. Nonetheless, he could not keep quiet anymore after hearing her disrespect him.

"Lynn, why are you even here? You know I love you but you're way out of line. You also know how much I hate when someone tries to control me. Who I'm with shouldn't corcern you. But make no mistake, I'm the jerk who doesn't deserve him". Mew didn't even think before blurting out the truth. He was so sick of everyone having an opinion about what he should or should not do, think, and ultimately be.

"Mew...". Lynn tried to touch his arm but Mew didn't let her. "Also, I think it's best if you go home. You shouldn't be here for the wrong reasons".

.........................................................................

Standing in front of Gulf's door, all Mew could think about was why everyone betrayed him, or abandoned him, or just wanted something from him. When Gulf opened the door, Mew felt a lump in his throat, struck by the sudden realization of how much he had missed him. Gulf stared at him in confusion. "Mew, what are you doing here?".

Mew swallowed, it was hard for him asking for help but he had nowhere else to go. "Can I come in?" Mew's voice was not as confident as usual, which caught Gulf off guard. Seeing him undecided, Mew added: "I swear I'm not here for sex".

Gulf let him in and even his room seemed so different now but also the same. All the memories were overwhelming him. Gulf sat on the bed and tapped on the mattress to let Mew know he could sit next to him. "What's wrong?". Mew wanted to talk but nothing came out of his mouth. 

Then Gulf patted his head, something he had never done before. Mew was usually the one doing that and mostly when Gulf was half asleep. "I don't know what happened but you know you don't have to be tough all the time, right?". Mew turned his head to look at him and was completely carried away by the sweetness of his smile. "It's okay to be sad". These words almost tear him apart. They were simple but no one ever told him it was okay to let himself go. He was usually the one taking care of everybody. "There are many people who care about you".

Mew had the sudden urge to hold him tight but he was afraid of ruining this perfect moment. "You care?". 

Mew saw something in Gulf's eyes, an internal struggle he didn't want to put into words. "It doesn't matter. I'm just someone passing by in your life. You won't even remember me in a few months".

Gulf's smile was sad but still beautiful. The way he was stroking his hair was melting something inside him, something he had tried to protect so bad. "That's impossible".

They stared at each other for a moment, or a minute, Mew had no idea. Then Gulf looked away, biting his lip. "We should sleep".

Mew was surprised but he should have known Gulf was not the kind of person to kick out someone in this state. He smiled at him, grateful. He laid down next to him, fighting the urge to hug him from behind. "Gulf?".

He waited to see if he was still awake. "Uhm?".

Mew stared at his back, breathing deeply. "I'm sorry".

Gulf stayed silent for a while and Mew was afraid he hadn't heard him at all. But then he brushed his hand against his for a second: "I know".