Chapter Twenty

It was Gulf's first time attending a wedding so closely. He woke up excited and flustured at the same time, knowing how important that day was for Mew's family. Jom kept asking him how she looked or how Kla – her husband-to-be – was doing. "Don't worry, he's in good hands".

Gulf and Jom exchanged a look before bursting into laughter. "That's exactly what I'm worried about".

Gulf smiled, hiding the last bobby pins to make sure her hairstyle would hold throughout the day. He wasn't the best hairdresser but all her family was busy with the final arrangements and he wanted to help anyway. "I know, he seemed more nervous than you. I kind of understand him, having a sister as well. It's not easy to let go".

Gulf helped her get up and she took a look at herself in the mirror. He smiled hearing her cry of delight as she saw the final result. "Thank you, Gulf. Really".

She took his hands in hers, squeezing them tight. "I'm glad my brother has you. Please don't break his heart".

It was his first time seeing Jom so serious. Normally she would tease him but Gulf could tell how much they cared about each other. "I have no intention to".

A soft knock at the door caught their attention, interrupting their conversation. "Come in".

Mew popped out from behind the door, a nervous smile on his lips. "I'm here to see the beautiful bride".

He slowly came in, stopping to check Gulf out in his elegant outfit. Gulf grinned, even if he was distracted by him too. "Yuhuu, the bride is here, thank you very much. There's plenty of time to organize your own wedding when the time comes".

Gulf blushed visibly, while Mew cleared his throat loudly to hide his embarassment. "Stop it, I just hadn't seen him yet".

Mew avoided looking in Gulf's direction, approaching his sister instead. "Oh God, it's happening".

Jom laughed, cupping his face in her hands. "Did you just realize it now?".

Mew pouted, holding her in his arms for a few seconds. "I was too busy making sure your husband would look nice".

Gulf noticed Jom's eyes sparkle just at the mention of Kla. "It couldn't have been that hard, though. He's handsome just the way he is".

Mew twitched his nose, pretending to be disgusted. "Ugh, people in love stink".

Jom glared at him."You're one to talk".

Seeing him struggling, Gulf stepped in. "We should go, or everyone will think you're having second thoughts".

Jom took one last look at the mirror, smiling at their reflections behind her. "I'm ready".

Everything was perfect: the handmade decorations, the white flower's theme, the cheerful atmosphere. Kla was straightening his tie for the hundredth time when Jom finally made her appearance next to her father. Gulf took a peek at Mew, who was trying to hide his emotions. He took his hand without much thought, which Mew gladly squeezed back.

When Jom and Kla started exchanging their vows, Gulf came closer to him, whispering in his ear: "She's beautiful".

Mew smiled, his eyes visibly glassy now. "She is".

After the family photo session – in which the Jongcheveevat's clan insisted for Gulf to be included as well – the celebration moved to the garden, which was especially prepared for the occasion. Mew had been gone for almost half an hour now, and Gulf was starting to worry.

When he finally found him, Mew was all alone with a piece of paper in his hands, which he crumpled up and threw away. "Hey, I was about to make a call for the missing person's bureau".

Mew looked up at him, frustrated. "I don't want to make this stupid speech".

He sighed, watching Gulf sitting next to him. "Why is that?".

Mew bit his lips, struggling. "Because... who am I to talk about love, happyness, relationships? I'm a fraud". Gulf's heart tightened a little bit seeing him so insecure again. "The person you liked in high school...I'm not that person anymore".

This time Gulf took both of his hands, making him turn a little bit to look at him in the eyes. "You're right, you're not. You've gone through some things in life. I'm not the same either". Thinking about it, he could barely recognize himself. And it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Then he cupped his face in his hands, smiling at him. "I liked that geeky and handsome guy who took his time to cheer me up. And I clearly like you now, or I wouldn't be here, trying to make a good impression on your family, I don't even know why". Gulf blushed a little but didn't looked away nonetheless. The way Mew was hanging on his lips was giving him the courage to keep going. "But what really drives me nuts in all this is that you have this crazy idea that you don't deserve nice things in life. And I'm sorry Mew, but you do deserve them".

The silence after his speech nearly ate Gulf alive. Maybe he had crossed a line and now things would be awkward between them? Gulf didn't want that. But then Mew caressed Gulf's hands, which were still on his cheeks. "So let's be together. For real this time".