Chapter 7: Task Cracking and Wand Weighing

Before the 7th Years knew it, September had gone by quick because of N.E.W.T preparation homework. Well, most 7th Years felt this way. Lily and Hugo on the other hand spent every possible moment trying to figure out this first task. All of the teachers knew that Lily and Hugo were Triwizard champions, so, they kind of lightened their homework load. Lily was definitely thankful for that, but, it was short lived because she didn't know how much of a maniac Hugo would be on trying to figure out this first task. Literally, every moment of free time was spent either in the library or in the Common Room, hovering over books trying to memorize different spells and hexes.

    "Are you even listening to me?" Hugo said in outraged tone, while running his fingers through his red hair.

    "Wha- oh, yea, totally!" Lily responded, flashing back to reality, while sitting in the library with her glasses on, hair up in a bun, held up by her wand. Lily had dozed off while re-reading the letter from her dad for the millionth time. Both Lily and Hugo had received letters from their family and friends, warning them and begging for them to be careful. But, one letter in particular really effected Lily. Not the letter from her mum and dad, the one just from her dad. She figured he must have written it at work because, it was obvious her mum hadn't written anything on this specific letter. Number one, she recognized it to be her father's handwriting, and number two, it had many warnings and scenarios that could happen, that Lily hadn't really realized.

    Of course, when Harry originally found out that morning that his daughter was one of the Hogwarts champions, along with his nephew, he thought he was going to pass out. The minute he saw that headline, he almost instantly had a PTSD memory of the night in the graveyard, where Voldemort had Wormtail murder Cedric, and almost himself too. Harry already had enough on his plate by having to guard this event, but now, that his daughter was in it, he felt even more stressed. He obviously knew that Voldemort was dead, he killed him himself, but, he wanted nothing to happen to his Lily. It wasn't like he could just go jump in front of her and protect her, (even though he thought he'd want to), she needed to do this herself. Harry could only do so much, and she would have to do the rest. The Triwizard Tournament was one of the hardest things, (ONE, there were definitely harder), things Harry had ever done. Physically and mentally. He just thought he needed to get through to Lily, and just purely tell her what she'd gotten into. Harry was definitely proud of her for willingly entering this type of thing, but, he was still worried. What made him even more worried was that he know the three tasks, and couldn't say a word to Lily.

    "EARTH TO LILY!" Hugo whispered yelled because they were in the library.

    "Sorry! Merlin! Calm down!" Lily whisper yelled back. Both her and Hugo had been on edge lately. It both drove them crazy that they still hadn't heard a clue on what the first task would be. Memorizing spells could only take them so far. They needed to know a little more. If they could just know a little more, they would prepare way better. But, since that this was the Triwizard Tournament, they knew that there was nothing they could do about that. They also wondered how far the other teams had come on cracking this.

    "Hey guys. Am I interrupting anything important?" Lorcan said when he walked into the library to check on Lily and Hugo. Lately, that was really the only place they had been. Though he didn't say this out loud, he really missed Lily's usual bubbly self. Between the breakup and now the stress of the Tournament, he really saw the Lily he knew and liked a lot. So, lately, he had walked to the library to check on Lily and Hugo, to make sure they weren't slitting each other's throats with different things they would need to study. Lorcan knew that Hugo could go overboard with this kind of thing, so, he had to make sure that Lily survived.

    "No. It isn't like we were getting any closer to figuring out anything anyway! I still need to go do rounds. See you guys tomorrow." Hugo said, then gathered up his things, and walked out to go do Head Boy rounds. This left Lily and Lorcan alone in the library. It was late, and Madame Pince had already tried to kick them out ten minutes earlier.