Chapter 11: The Yule Ball

The next few weeks were probably some of the best weeks so far this school year for Lily. They were actually very stress free and enjoyable. Normally, they would have left school already for Holliday Break, but, because of the Yule Ball, half of the school stayed. And, to Lily's surprise, Hugo wasn't stressing about trying to figure out the next task like he was the first one. Maybe it was because of their victory, but, actually, it was because Hugo wanted have a minute of relaxation until the Holiday was over. After that, it would be full swing back to task cracking.

    In these two weeks of actually acting like other 7th years, Lily and Hugo put their free time towards spending it with their friends. It was nice to just relax and chill in the common room. Unlike their friends, Lily and Hugo didn't have to stress about N.E.W.T's, and had a limited amount of homework. Well, none of their friends had the stress level that Hugo and Lily had, but, they were still worried about these huge exams that determined their future. Lily laughed at Hugo when he would critique their friends' study habits. Well, he was Hermione Granger's sone after all.

    Other than relaxing while observing their friends study for N.E.W.T's, they also had some fun late nights in the common room. Since Hugo was Head Boy, he basically didn't have a curfew, and could do whatever he pleased, because he was responsible. So, when all the other Gryffindors were in bed, Lily, Hugo, Caroline, Daisy, Lorcan, and Lysander, (who they managed to sneak into the Gryffindor Common Room,) would stay by the fireplace until early morning, drink either Butterbeer or Firewhisky shots, and play games of exploding snap and truth or dare. On one specific game of truth or dare, and it was Hugo's turn to pick a truth or dare for Lily, she gave him one of the biggest death stares she could give. Luckily, he played nice.

    But, today was probably one of the last days of that stress free fun with their friends. Today was Christmas and also the day of the Yule Ball. Even though Lily wouldn't be able to participate in the usual annual Burrow Christmas festivities this year, she was really excited for today. The only thing that made her kind of ticked off was that, like she thought she would, Caroline went to see Al for Christmas. Well, that was the one downfall of your best friend dating your brother. But, this also meant that Lily had to get ready with Daisy instead of Line. Again, it wasn't that Lily didn't like Daisy, but, she wasn't her preferred person to get ready with.

    Lily thought all of this while she put her Christmas presents that her parents and brothers sent her by her bedside table.

    "Well, what do you think? Do you think Hugh will like it?" Daisy asked Lily, doing a twirl, to show her dress off to get Lily's opinion.

    "Wow." Lily responded. Well, it wasn't something Lily would have picked out. It was pink, sparkly, over the top, and frilly/poofy. But, on the bright side, it was perfect for Daisy. It showed off her personality perfectly. Lily decided to be optimistic about it, she sure it would look more complete when Daisy did her hair and makeup. She also had to base her opinion on the fact that Daisy probably picked out an over-the-top dress because she was the date of one of the champions.

    "I know right, I love it!" Daisy said back, oblivious to what Lily was thinking, and did another twirl.

    "Well, I suppose I should put my dress on to then." Lily stated, and then walked over to her trunk to pull out the gown she would be wearing tonight. Back in August, before Lily had a clue that the Triwizard Tournament would take place this year, she was confused when her back to school letter stated, All students are required to have a set of formal dress robes or a dress this year. Now, she knew why. Really, the only formal dress Lily owned was her bridesmaids dress for Rose's wedding. She wasn't going to wear that for this. Well, back in August she thought that she could just bring the bridesmaids dress, but, Ginny wouldn't let her. Now, Lily realized her mum's reasoning for that. So, before school started, Ginny tried to drag Lily to Madame Melkin's to pick out a dress, but Lily refused. That was the one thing Lily hated. Shopping. Really, the only time Lily liked going shopping was when it was for someone else. Not herself. Back when Rose was still in school, she could remember going on a shopping trip to find her Graduation Ball dress. In the end, both Lily and Ginny settled on Lily taking one of Ginny's old dresses that was in storage all of this time.