Chapter 9: The First Task; Part 2

"Well, now that all of our teams are introduced, I say we get this task started! Okay teams, on my mark, get set, GOOOOOOOOO! Lee basically screamed into the megaphone, with more cheers and applauses from the crowd. With his direction, Lily, Hugo, and the other teams sprinted into the obstacle course."

At that moment, Lily and Hugo both sprinted full speed into the obstacle course. There was definitely no going back now. This was what they had been preparing for months. All that flashed through both of their minds was; remember your spells, get passed the obstacles, grab the sword, be the first ones out! Both of them were already anxious to know where the other teams were. Between each team, tall hedge walls, (courtesy of Hagrid and Neville), divided the teams, so no cheating would occur. Even though the teams couldn't see each other, the audience could because they were sitting up in the stands.

"And they're off! Watch closely folks, let's see what happens first!" Lee announced with his same tone of enthusiasm. Doing the commentating for this even would be hard for Lee. He couldn't just yell out everything that was happening like he would for Quidditch. If he yelled out what the opposite team was doing over the loudspeaker, then the other teams would hear, and possibly cheat that way.

While the crowd was roaring, and Lee was shouting things, both Lily and Hugo had tuned all of that out, as they sprinted their way to their first obstacle. Both Lily and Hugo were confused at first with the sight they saw. It was a mirror. Why would a simple mirror be an obstacle in a magical challenge like this? But, it was when Hugo got up right in front of it when it did something. On one side of the mirror, it showed a dude with red hair on the longer side, kind of dirty, with a Curse Breaker uniform on. On the other was, a red haired girl, on the back of a boy with brown, fluffy looking hair, and multi-colored hazel eyes.

Both Hugo and Lily stopped for a moment at the sight, trying to figure this out.

"Ooooh, Team Durmstrang has gotten passed the first obstacle!" Lee announced, with more cheers from the crowd. This stressed both Hugo and Lily out.

Hugo scanned over every sight of the mirror. Not just the different reflection, but the trim around it too. Then, something clicked and popped into his head, as he read what was etched into the top of the mirror.

"Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on whosi." Hugo read aloud.

"What? Hugh, this isn't the time to be stating Gibrish!" Lily snapped at her cousin. She was very confused at this whole thing. Now she knew what the ministry officials meant by "magical distractions." It didn't help to know that Durmstrang was already ahead of them.

"No Lily, read it backwards! I show not your face but your heart's desire! This is the Mirror of Erised. The mirror of desire! That's me! As a Curse Breaker! And that's you,... with Lorcan?" Hugo stated, proud to know that he had figured it out.

"Hugh, you're a genius!" Lily said right back. But then, she realized, what the reflection showed. If this was the Mirror of Erised, then, was this her heart's deepest desire? She had always thought that her heart's deepest desire was playing Seeker for England, and winning the Quidditch World Cup. But, this sight, deeply confused her. It was definitely her alright, on the back of Lorcan Scamander. And it was definitely Lorcan, because Lily saw those familiar multi-colored hazel eyes. Her hearts deepest desire was to be with Lorcan.

"Reducto!" Lily commanded, and sparks flew out of her wand, towards the mirror. When the sparks hit the mirror, the reflections scurried away, and the glass of the mirror shattered into a million pieces.

"Nice one." Hugo commented at Lily's spell. Hopefully, this wasn't the actual Mirror of Erised. If so, Lily Potter had just shattered it into a million pieces. Lily let out a smirk at her good wand work, and her and Hugo sprinted away, towards the next obstacle.