Leaving

Personal Story: I had gotten anesthesia during a minor surgery this week, and when I woke up I had gauze in my mouth. I started crying to my mom because I THOUGHT THE GAUZE WAS TAMPONS AND THE STAFF RAN OUT OF FREAKING GAUZE PADS. I THOUGHT I HAD DUMB DOCTORS THAT SHOVED TAMPONS IN MY MOUTH. NOPE. It was finally her chance to laugh at me crying.

Quote: "I'm so swollen. It's like I got Botox."

Advice: Never go to sleep angry. Let bygones be bygones!

Fun Fact: Polar Bears average a walk at 3.5 mph.

TO THE WORDS AND STARS AND SQUIGGLES

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Julie's hand reaches over to my face in the bed, her hand tapping my cheek incessantly.

"Ugh." I murmur, my eyes noticing the dim lights in the cabin. The alarm proceeds to ring.

"Are we in Cabo again?" I ask her, confused.

"No, we have to get off the ship in like two hours." She replies groggily. Swinging my legs out of the bed, I stretch, almost hitting Julie on accident.

"Want me to get ready and shower and then wake you again?" I ask, turning the alarm off. She nods before slamming her face onto the pillow, already asleep again. I shake my head in wonder, amazed at how quickly she can sleep. 

I shower and dress, glancing at my plain watch. It was only 7:00 in the morning, I really don't think she needs to wake up for another half hour. I walk out to the balcony, and grab my notebook before resting my forearms on the wooden railing.

"Julie? Julie, it's almost time for us to leave. We need to get ready." I whisper, shaking her lightly. She rises immediately, before taking her clothes with her into the bathroom. Meanwhile, I open the divider door, making sure Grace and Mamrie are awake. Luckily, they are, and their room looks like a tornado hit, with clothes everywhere and shoes flung around in random piles. I decide I really shouldn't bother them, and close the door gently. 

Julie and I are at the buffet for the final time, loading up on fruits and the variety of tropical juices they had.

"They had guava juice?" Julie asks, turning to me.

"Yeah, grapefruit, guava, orange, apple, and some other one. It's awesome, you should try it." I suggest, grabbing a water instead. We grab a small table by the window, watching the cars zip by the sunny port. After a week in a completely different culture, Los Angeles seems, well, different. Not necessarily in a bad way, but it seems hectic, crowded, which I may have to adjust to again. Although I had an amazing time, L.A. is my home, so I was content with being back to where I belonged.

*******************************************************************************************************************

I stand outside our old apartment building, gazing at the trellises winding their way across the side of the brick façade. I take a deep breath, telling myself I need to heal. I quickly push the glass doors open, greeted by the familiar lobby with the recognizable flowers and marble floors. Jesus, the building still smells the same, with the overpowering fumes of expensive perfume and musky cologne. I move towards the stairs, driven by an instinct that I had to see our apartments. The instinct propels me up the stairs, down the corridor to section B in the building. 

I stand in front of B21, my old apartment. I fixate on the teak wood, with a small scratch on it from one of Mamrie's rings a year or so ago. I fumble with the key I had stolen back from whatever fucking asylum I was staying in. I glance around the hallway, my palms shaking slightly. I quickly jam the key into the lock, hearing the small click as I gain entrance. Letting out the breath I had been holding, I walk in, my vision clouding slightly as I take in my apartment.