D-29: Maei

Jungkook checked his hair again, running his manicured fingers through the raven strands, then he closed the button of the black suit that hugged his trained figure that tat bit too tight and hurried out of the bathroom to grab his car keys and sunglasses. The tie he had loosely slung around his neck before dangled there unfinished when he jogged to his black Ferrari.

Another look at his Rolex told him that he was still late. Late for a funeral he never had had the intention of attending. His mother had made him go. It was the Old Lady's funeral. He just called her that. She had been his family's neighbor and kind of a nanny for him when he was young, but he had never gotten attached to her. Even his memories of those visits were blurry and unspectacular. And for something like that he was held back from going to work and training, the two things he liked doing most.

The familiar roaring when he started the car engine calmed him down a little and he drove his purring beauty out of the garage with his mind more at ease. The Ferrari had been a gift when he had started working for his father's company. Mr. Jeon had decided that moving his son from one department to the next was the best way to prepare him for his future job as the company's owner. But when Jungkook had reached the division for market analysis, he had shown a natural talent that had made his colleagues brag about him. Long story short, his father had been very pleased with him and had allowed him to stay there. Jungkook loved it.

But visiting funerals of people whom he did not care for was definitely ruining his workflow. Watching the passengers on the sidewalk, he once again asked himself why he let his mother drag him out to this event. He never had gotten the concept of funerals anyway. Saying goodbye? To whom, the corps? He would prohibit his family from doing such nonsense when time was over for him. Just turning into ashes was what he longed for. Transforming into Carbon and metals.

Funerals in the world of money were always the same anyway. There was the family, that maybe was sad about your death, and there were the ones owing you money or the ones you owe money to. The first are happy to get off the hook, hoping no one will care, the latter are angry about their loss, trying to get their money from the relatives.

His younger sister waited for him outside the little chapel. A stern expression on her angelic face, she stood there with crossed arms when he got out of the car and entered the graveyard. Her skirt was much too short for this occasion. She must have had a good argument with their mother to make her agree to this outfit.

When he came to stand in front of her, she began to fiddle with his tie, buttoning the last button on his snow-white shirt, and lifted one perfect eyebrow. Her 18th birthday was in two days, but she already had the same intimidating aura as their mother. Her long, straight hair with the girlishly neat fringe that hovered over her big, black eyes and small nose was not changing her appearance to the better. If anything, it made her more dangerous, for she could be damn charming.

"You are late and you look slovenly. However, you owe me for becalming mother."

That said, she turned around and entered the building, displaying an expression as if she owned the world. A generous smile curved her brother's lips. He adored her exaggeratedly eloquent way of speaking. If there was one person Jungkook truly loved, it was his sister Maei. She was three years younger, but he never felt the age-gap. Maybe because of her intelligence. She always had been the smarter one, ranking first in her school and fourteenth in national score. He was not dumb either, but his sister would always outsmart him.

Placing a reserved expression on his pale face, he entered the hallowed halls after her.

><

"The food is tolerable, but the music is killing the mood," Jungkook murmured to his sister jokingly.

"I'm dieting," she retorted, subtly stating her opinion about the buffet. Jungkook chuckled. They both had the same feelings about this funeral: it was a waste of time. They could be doing much more interesting things right now. People say rich kids are bored easily. Well, they are right. This especially was true for smart, rich kids.

"I don't even know why I'm here. She was your nanny, not mine," she complained, giving the buffet another disgusted look while sipping on her champagne.

"You made mother agree to that frivolous dress. Why didn't you make her agree on not attending the party at all?" Jungkook teased her with an amused smile on his lips. She rolled her eyes and left him alone with the biscuits and cakes.

Jungkook's smile fell when his eyes followed her into the crowd. Their father had decided to engage her on her birthday in two days, and Jungkook was still arguing with himself whether he should warn her or not. But to be fair, he had gotten engaged on his 18th birthday, too, so it would not be this much of a surprise. Their father owned one of the biggest companies in South-Korea, having its hands everywhere. Weddings were like contracts in their world. His sister knew just as well as he did.

Jungkook's own fiancée was a beautiful, petit creature, well, not as beautiful as his sister... and her father owned three five-star hotel chains. But from what he had heard about his sister's future husband, the man was the heir of the largest South-Korean group in architecture and construction, an even bigger catch. He never had seen him before though, which could either mean that he was unfit to be brought to social events or that he had no interest in them much like Jungkook himself. Their parents had made this up two years ago. And in two days, he would get to know the guy.

Watching his sister socialize, he took another bite of one of the much too sweat biscuits. Hopefully the Park's son was not a failure. He would never give his precious Maei to a guy who did not deserve her.

His eyes wandered back to his watch. If he left now, he could still make it to his training.

>><<