FOURTEEN

unedited

FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN. FAITH ALONE

JENNIFER JAREAU BURST THROUGH THE DOORS OF THE BAU IN EVIDENT DISTRESS. Her breathing was laboured and her movements weren't as precise as they usually were. She grabbed the bullpen television remote as she practically ran towards Derek, who was looking over his paperwork. "Morgan."

Derek looked up, furrowing his eyebrows at his coworker. "What's up?"

JJ turned the television on, drawing the attention of the workers around them to the screen. "What is reportedly being called a routine questions and answers meeting by Colorado Child Services had turned into a violent and deadly standoff  between Colorado authorities and a fringe religious group known as the Sepatarian Sect."

"JJ," Morgan began in a low voice. "That's not the ranch where..."

"They're still inside," JJ muttered, trying to remain calm, but on the inside she was close to bursting. 

Morgan turned around and yelled frighteningly loud. "Hotch!"

Hotch's head shot up inside his office at the sudden shout, and he jumped to his feet, not even bothering to end his phone call. He rushed out of his office, meeting Rossi by the barrier separating them from the bullpen. 

"The TV," Morgan looked up at him with wide, angered eyes. "Prentiss, Reid and Alvarez."

"No one knows for sure how many people are inside. It is believed that at least four of the child service members are still trapped within the compound."

A wave of fear hit Hotch. It was bad enough that they had a hostage situation, but the fact that he had sent three of his team members into such a dangerous place without realising filled him with frustration and guilt. 

The phones quickly began ringing off the hook within the BAU, and agents rushed to answer. Hotch gripped the railing tightly, though he appeared to be emotionally unresponsive. "Alright, that means we're the lead with hostage rescue and support. Let's go."

★☆

Daisy sat beside Spencer as Emily paced back and forth in the bunker. They had been separated from the rest of the church, most of the children having been sent to bed or brought to a location Cyrus didn't want to disclose. 

Cyrus and one of his followers, Cole, ran down the steps to meet the trio. "Miles is dead. He was locking the door when they shot him. Lauren and Robert were asleep in their bed. The bullets came through the wall."

"What about the baby?" Cyrus asked, though Jessica rushed out holding a small toddler in her arms. 

"I have her," the teenager tried to catch her breath. "She was at the school."