TWENTY SEVEN

TRIGGER WARNING: MENTIONS OF SEXUAL ASSAULT

TWENTY SEVEN. RICHARD 'BIG DICK' WHITTLE

"IT TURNS OUT HIS FRIENDS USED TO CALL HIM THAT IN HIGH SCHOOL," DAISY HELD HER PHONE UP TO HER EAR AS SHE PRESSED THE ELEVATOR BUTTON. She looked down to flick a speck of lint from her cardigan sleeve, and smiled awkwardly when Hotch stepped inside just before the contraption started moving. "Someone brought it up at a work party and it stuck with him again."

"That changes everything," Rhea hummed on the other side of the line. The joyous sounds of children were in the background, as it was recess and she had a moment to herself. "You know, he came in today with the biggest smile on his face. Who knew he had feelings?"

Daisy's eyes flickered to Hotch for a second, feeling a little uncomfortable that she was discussing her date with Richard in front of him with no way for either of them to escape. "He was a lot nicer than you said he'd be. Listen, I'll call you on your lunch break, okay?"

"But-"

Daisy hung up and sent a quick text explaining everything. Hotch cleared his throat. "Everything okay?"

"Yep," Daisy nodded quickly. "Yep, yeppers."

Hotch often wished his coworkers were better liars. "You had a date?"

Daisy tucked some hair behind her ear, forcing a smile. "Yeah, just one of my friend's coworkers."

He was quiet, trying to figurer out the words to say. "That's...great. I'm happy for you."

Daisy forced a smile. "Thanks, Hotch."

Silence ensued. Neither knew what to say, and the elevator ride seemed a lot longer than it usually was. 

Hotch's head snapped up quickly when he heard Daisy make a noise. He looked over at her with raised eyebrows, watching as she dug around in her bag for something. After a moment, she found what she was looking for. 

His sweater. 

"Here," she said softly, handing it to him. "I forgot to give this back."

Hotch reached out for it, his fingers brushing against hers. Daisy's breath caught in her throat at the physical contact, and truthfully, she wanted nothing more than to kiss him. It was a strange urge, one that she hadn't felt with anyone before. But she had to hold herself back, because she knew it wasn't what he wanted. 

"Thank you," the man uttered, though he didn't move his hand. He couldn't bring himself to let her go. 

Once the doors opened, they broke apart. Hotch folded the sweater and hung it over his briefcase. He cleared his throat, staring as she stepped outside. "You know, it looked better on you."

Daisy smacked his arm lightly. "You sure know how to make a girl feel special, Hotch."

Hotch chuckled, dipping his head as they walked into the bullpen. "More special than the guy you're seeing?"