Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty Six

Emily's POV

I wake up with arms wrapped around my waist, holding me close to a warm, naked chest. My heart races as I bury my face into the crook of his neck, a smile spreading across my face. I have forgotten what it was like to sleep and wake beside my mate.

My wolf moans with delight and I can't help but wiggle closer to him. All I want is to be pressed up against his side and never leave him embrace. I will stay in bed with him forever if I could. Being so far away was a constant dagger to the heart. It made me want to give up and return. I knew I couldn't. I had to protect Jennifer and deliver her. She was our child and our chance at having a family. I wouldn't give her up for the world.

Samuel shifts beside me and I smile, biting the inside of my cheek to keep from bursting with happiness. Samuel's fingers lightly draw circles on my back, telling me he was awake. He places a kiss to the top of my head and gives my body a squeeze. "Good morning, Em." He whispers. I tilt my head back and give him a sleepy smile.

"Good morning, Sam." His eyes droop closed and he takes in a deep breath before releasing it.

"I love having you in my arms. I will never get tired of it." I silently agree, closing my eyes to shut out the world around us and allow us to just be here in this moment. "You're so warm and soft. You smell of vanilla and pine. You're perfect." I wanted to laugh and deny him, but I knew it would be useless. He has this image of me and it wouldn't only do bad to try to change it. So I allow him to picture me as this perfect woman he takes me as.

"Thank you. For bringing me all the happiness in the world." I look up at him again and watch as his smile drops. I arch an eyebrow, wondering what is making him so gloomy. Perhaps Blake linked in and is discussing pack business. I contemplated leaving him alone to talk their Alpha-Beta lectures.

When he grabs me tightly and brings me up to bury his face into my neck, I understand it doesn't have to do with anything outside of this room. Does he believe I am unhappy? Does he still believe what I said many months ago?

"How could you say that when I have failed in making you a mother?" I sit bolt up and look down at him. What did he say? He has failed at making me a mother?! What does that mean?! What about Jennifer?

"What? What about Jennifer?" I ask. His eyebrows raise in question. Why is he confused? What is happening?

"Who?" He asks. Who?! My heart races. "You mean our almost daughter? The one who passed away a few days after her birth?"

No. Please tell me that isn't the truth. Please tell me he is lying. Tears brim in my eyes as I feel my bottom lip quiver. I lost my daughter? No! How do I not know this?! How do I not remember?!

I lost my baby girl. Maybe it's true that I will never be a mother.

.

.

.

I jolt awake when Samuel grabs my shoulder. I gasp, letting out a scream as he tries to calm me. "No. Jennifer!" I push him off of me, trying to get to my daughter. Samuel's arms release me and I bolt into the nursery.

The room is cold and dark. Goosebumps cover my arms and legs as I rush over towards the crib to look down at my daughter. I feel my dinner force its way up my throat. I turn and get rid of the food in my stomach. "Emily?!" I hear Samuel yell as he grabs me by my waist. He picks me up, taking me a few steps away from the crib before he goes to look down at our lifeless daughter.

Sobs shake through me as Samuel reaches down to pick Jennifer up. He places her to his chest, tears rolling down his cheeks. "Save her. Please save her." I beg Samuel, walking over to grab his arm. He doesn't say anything, he just holds our daughter.

I fall to my knees and let out a scream in pain.

There is no way to describe the way I feel. It's as if someone has taken away my means of living. My heart has stopped and I can't even breathe properly. I was finally given my daughter, only for her to be taken from my grasp. It was a tease and a harsh one at that. I was graced with a daughter and then damned to live without her.

I hear doors opening and footsteps as people file into the nursery. Arms wrap around me and I recognize them as Ilene's. She holds me tightly as I cry in her arms. Blake hurries over to Samuel and pries the child from his arms.

Samuel lets out a low growl, his eyes turning dark as he glares at his best friend. "Samuel, give her to him." I hear Aiden say as he and Catherine enters the room. It starts to feel crowded until Blake exits with our daughter.

"No! Save her! Blake, please!" I scream at him as he hurries away. Catherine drops in front of me, grabbing my shoulders.

"It's going to be okay. Sh. You need to take deep breaths." She says in a gentle tone, trying to calm me. I look over at Samuel, watching as he stares at me with pained eyes. I notice guilt flicker across as he watches me cry in my family's arms. They try to calm me with soothing words but it doesn't even seem to process in my mind what they are saying.

I shake my head, not believing that this is happening. This has to be a nightmare. Another one. My daughter can't be dead, I will not accept it. After all I had been through to get her, she can't just leave so simply. Not in the middle of the night where no one is with her. Not when she is alone in her room. Not so young.

Samuel leaves the room and I follow him with my eyes. His mind-link is shut off, meaning he didn't want to talk to me. I could tell he was blaming himself and even though I wanted to go comfort him, I couldn't find myself to leave the room.

I get to my feet, stepping out of the two sets of arms, walking over to grab Jennifer's blanket. I gather it in my hands and press it to my chest, breathing in her scent. She had a very baby smell with a tint of vanilla.

Tears roll down my cheeks as I try not to fall apart. I never understood the bond between a mother and daughter until I lost my mom. I didn't understand a mother's love for a daughter until I lost my baby.

"What can we do?" Catherine asks. I don't answer. I just stare where my daughter used to lay. The cushion has a small indent where he small body was laying.

"Nothing." I reply. Everyone leaves the room and I am left alone. I take a seat on the rocking chair, grasping my chest. I feel as if my heart has been ripped from the chest. All I feel is a void.

You shall have no heir! I hear in my head. My eyes widen as I process what is happening. The voice wasn't Samuel's or Blake's or Aiden's. It is the voice that had inhabited Samuel's body since he was a child.

He now lives within me and I know he is the one who killed my four day old daughter. I bare my teeth, let out a low growl.

I should have gotten rid of him when I had the chance. I should have ended my life along with his. I should have known he was within me the whole time, not within my daughter. I should have noticed his dark presence.

You will never be rid of me. You can try all you want, but I will always be with Samuel and you. You will never be a mother. You will only have the man who brings you heartbreak.

The door opens and I look over my shoulder to see Samuel march in. He grabs my shoulders and rips me up to my feet. He lets out a snarl. "You listen here, you prick. I don't know why you have it out for me. I don't know why you find joy in murdering children. But you will stop. You will end this, you I will end you." Samuel threatens. I stare up at him with wide eyes as tears stream down his cheeks. His cheeks are red with anger.

The demon doesn't respond, it settle deep in the back of my mind. "Get out of her. She doesn't deserve your dark influence." Samuel closes his eyes as I feel a weight leave me. I watch as his shoulders saga bit before he wiggles them and straightens his back. He looks down at me with empty eyes.

"Sam..." I grab his arm but he takes a step back.

"I don't think it would be wise to be around me anymore, Emily." I shake my head and grab his bicep.

"No. We both just lost our daughter. I need you now more than ever." I wrap my arms around him, pressing my head on his chest. "Please don't leave me. I can't lose you again."