CHAPTER SEVEN

(chapter vii)

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ☽ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

} ───── ⊰

            Alicea had walked with the familiars around the town. She was glad that Barbatos and Diavolo didn't refuse her liberty, despite her ongoing fainting episodes. In fact, they were far from considering restricting her because one thing that they knew was that she was not someone they could bound.

She was in a delicate state of recovering and she did not need someone or anyone treating her as if she was glass.

After a while, Alicea sat on a bench for some time, watching as the streets before she continued to fill with more and more people. Eventually, the buzzing of noise died down, and the sound of a sigh next to her brought her out of her daze.

She peered down to Sloth, who was the only one out of the familiars that accompanied her that day that decided to stay with her. The rest all went to do their own things and the lazy familiar stuck with her without complaint.

            "I am surprised, you are usually with Gluttony," Alicea said peeking at the tired demon.

            It sighed again and rolled over to her lap," I rather not be stuck with paying for its bottomless stomach, besides with the others goofing off, someone has to be by your side"

            "Don't you have something you'd like to do?" She asked curiously leaning back on the bench she was sat on," I mean, I am not really sure what you like besides sleeping"

            "Well, that's all I am good at,"

            Alicea furrowed her brows and turned to the familiar," Now who said that to you?"

            "No one needed to, it's just the truth. Lowly demons like I and the others don't have much out for us. In truth, being the Lord's familiar is probably the only thing all of us are good at"

            "Hmm, oh yeah, I noticed the times half of you are absent, what is it exactly you guys do anyway? if you don't mind me asking"

            Sloth turned to look up at her," We help one of the humans to strengthen their soul so that other demons here in Devildom doesn't try and feast at them"

            "Ah, but there are two exchange students, right? At least that is what Diavolo told me one time at dinner"

            "Yes, but the other fella doesn't need us. He is strong enough to hold his own. Plus, he's got pacts with a lot of powerful beings, so even if a demon tried to feast for his soul, they'd end up digging their own grave"

            "I've heard of Diavolo's reason on bringing them here and two Angels. His dream is really grand, but what happens when people try to destroy it?"

Sloth fell silent and leaned back into her arms. The truth is, that every single day since the Prince had announced his dream to unite the three realms, behind the scenes, there was always someone trying to rebel against it.

To most demons, it was a weak dream-because humans and Angels were weak to them.  However, regardless of the discrimination and negative insight on the idea, what Diavolo wants-he gets with the helping hand of not only his loyal butler or familiars but also a powerful demon.

When the thought of Lucifer came to Sloth's mind, it turned up to Alicea.

            "Let's just say that where there is power, there is danger. The Lord gets what he wants and you will soon understand when the time comes"

            "So, it's going to be that answer," Alicea chuckled rubbing the top of the familiar's head," But, I prefer that you guys are not giving me answers, especially when it does not concern me"

            "Oh, it concerns you, more than you would imagine" Sloth mumbled to itself and went unnoticed by Alicea who was staring off to the slowly emptying streets.