What if...

WARNING!! TINY, SMUTTY SCENE IN THIS CHAPTER.. : )

The next day you tell your parents your plan to defer college and it goes as badly as you expected. Your Dad huffs, marching around the kitchen, and your mom is yelling at you to not throw away your future. But after you explain to them that you're behind in college because of the kidnapping and life changing events, they soften and understand that you need some time to heal. Your stomach twists with guilt at the lie but you feel it's better if they don't panic over the real reason you won't be continuing this semester. In an effort to distract them you switch topics and tell them that Tom wants to take you on a holiday to Australia to cheer you up and take your mind off recent events. They gush over how nice he is, and how happy they are for you to have such a lovely boyfriend, and you're glad that they focus on this instead of your deferment.

The next few weeks pass by in a blur of training and hanging out with Tom. Your best friend is sad that you're deferring college but they understand that you need a break. Anguish cracks through your chest because you've had to lie to your best friend as well, but you stomach the pain because you know it's best that they don't know the truth. If your parents and best friend knew the truth behind your visit to Sydney they would rather burn than let you fight, they'd try and come up with plans that would fail and shoulder the guilt of the universe being destroyed and  you can't have that. By the end of the few weeks you and Tom are stronger than you've ever been. You can conjure anything you want into being with the chaos magic, and make things disappear. Once, you even lifted a building with the chaos magic and made every person who saw it forget. Tom's very strong and agile now, even whilst carrying you he can swing quickly through narrow alley ways and dodge anything with his eyes closed.

Now, you're in Sydney having landed last night at the airport. You're sitting out on the balcony of a hotel in the sunshine, your empty breakfast plate in front of you as a hot breeze plays with your hair. Sweat drips down your neck, and your shoulders are starting to burn. It's springtime in Australia and the heat is sweltering. Tom adjusts his sunglasses as you both look out at Sydney Harbor, filled with yachts, ferries and a gigantic cruise ship at one end of the harbor. The water's a royal blue and you want nothing more than to cool off in the waves. Your jet lag makes you ache with fatigue and you sip your coffee, hoping to wake up. Taking a deep breath of briny air you gaze at the harbor bridge, a mammoth structure with cars crawling along it. People crowd the walkways below you as they visit Darling Harbor, the waterfront venue filled with restaurants and bars.

 " Should we sight see?" Tom stretches his arms over head, and you peer at him stomach fluttering at the sight. He's shirtless and only wearing shorts, a bead of sweat trickles down his perfect abs and even though you've been outside for a couple of hours, you can see a tan forming along his arms.

" Maybe we should hit the beach? It's so hot."

" That sounds good. After all we might as well enjoy ourselves, just in case..." Tom trails off, a haunted look settling over his features.

You place your coffee on the table and hold Toms hand," That won't happen Tom. We're strong. We'll beat Dark Phoenix."

Tom shoots you a small smile and rubs circles on the back of your hand, " Yeah, I hope so." He stares at you a while longer and your heart picks up pace. He takes off his glasses and presses his lips to yours, soft at first but then his kisses grow more heated . You both stand up and he cups your face as you walk backwards, pressing against the glass sliding door of the hotel room. Fumbling with the latch you slide it open, the air conditioner blissfully cool as you kiss each other feverishly. Tom parts slightly, his chocolate eyes burning into yours, " What if this is the last time we..." He whispers against your lips. Your breath catches in your throat, and you swallow around the lump of fear gathered there, " It won't be." He kisses you, hard, like he can taste the uncertainty on your tongue, and he crushes your body against his with an urgency that shows his fear of losing you. Your heart pounds and your stomach flutters as he lifts you, wrapping your legs around him. Love and sorrow combine into a bittersweet wave as you wonder if this is one of the last times you and Tom spend together. A lump forms in your throat and you try to banish the horrible thought from your mind. Your movements are frenzied as you both peel of each others clothes, desire and need lacing your movements. You both fall into bed and soon Tom has you in bliss as you cry out his name, and soon after he finds his release groaning against your lips. You lay side by side, and you watch as his eyes take in your features, savoring them. The way he looks at you feels like a goodbye and a lump forms in your throat as you do the same, treasuring the time you've spent with Tom. " I love you Y/N," he whispers, eyes moist as his fingertips trail over your cheek.

Your heart so full of love for him wrenches as you blink back tears, " I love you too Tom."

***

Hand in hand you and Tom walk to the train station, you smile at him and he smiles back, the sun glinting off his dark sunglasses. You're on the sidewalk walking past sandstone buildings and modern skyscrapers, bustling against all manner of people, some of whom are in their twenties joking and laughing, or in business suits looking stressed, and others scolding their children. The chatter of pedestrians, honking cars and buses gliding by fills your ears, and the smell of car exhaust, various perfumes, and frying food kaleidoscope together into the scents of the city. The sun beats down on you and Tom as a scorching breeze blows, caressing your legs. You're wearing a burgundy playsuit and black ankle boots and Tom's wearing a black t-shirt and a dark pair of plaid shorts that upon closer inspection has tiny stitching of red and blue. You've both decided to catch a train to Bondi Beach and you're carrying towels, sunscreen and water in your little back pack. Up ahead is Central train station, it's situated inside a giant sandstone building with gothic architecture and crowds of people milling out the front. 

You're both on a corner, waiting to cross the street when a loud boom rumbles through the city. Tom and you jump, the chatter dying down as people spin on the spot, searching for the source of the sound. You and Tom look at each other, heart racing as you both hear distant screams, a strong gust of wind scatters the contents of a bin and whips your hair back. A screaming woman turns the corner and smashes into your shoulder, she continues fleeing down the pavement as other people watch her with confusion. Then a couple come sprinting past, their faces white as a sheet. You grab Toms hand and he looks at you wide eyed, and you both tear down the corner only to stop mid-track, your jaw dropping and stomach plummeting.

Screaming people bump into you and Tom as they flee the gigantic vortex that's landed. Its swirling lights crackle into a dark void, and gale force winds whip against you and Tom. It roars, growing in size as it tears through buildings, disintegrating debris and rubble into nothing, cars are sucked into the air swept up by its powerful force. You feel like screaming and crying all at once, you've dreaded this day and now it's here and fear builds in your belly like a bomb waiting to explode. Everything you've done leads up to this moment and you're unsure whether you can do this.

Tom shoots you a look full of determination and it gives you strength, " Let's do this Y/N."

You nod, teeth gritting with resolve, " Let's save the world."