Be all, end all.

" We have to get these people away safely," Tom says. You nod, raising your arms, chaos magic bolting down your body, crackling with power. People around you scream, creating a wide berth when they see the scarlet lightning and glow of your eyes. Tom points to where the vortex whirls, " I'll get over there to the buildings closest and make sure everyone's gotten out."

You glance at Tom, your stomach somersaulting with fear, " Please be careful."

" I will, you too." You close your eyes as Tom gives you a chaste kiss, then disappears. You open your eyes in time to see him swing up high past a building. He shoots web at a car hurtling through the air towards the vortex, inside is a screaming family of four. He reaches them in time, pulling them out one by one. Then Tom swings towards the vortex, hauling people out of buildings, and catching people flying through the air, lowering them safely with web. You're frozen in awe as you watch Tom become the superhero you've always known him to be.

What the fuck are you doing Y/N? Help him!

" Right," you mutter, sending a surge of chaos magic over every person on the sidewalks, streets and buildings within close range. Some of them panic, screaming in alarm at the scarlet glow coating them, whilst others are too distracted by the vortex. A bead of sweat trickles down your neck as you raise your arms, shooting them behind you, disappearing everyone. You feel them slip through space and time as you place them to another part of the city, away from the vortex. There's a few stragglers running up the path and you disappear them too.

Up ahead Tom has woven a gigantic web between buildings that's caught cars and a bus, he's helping them out and they're climbing down the web. Feet pounding the pavement you sprint towards the vortex, shooting chaos magic from your hands flying onto the top of a building. A semi trailer hurtles through the air towards the web full of people and Tom leaps into the air shooting web, somersaulting over it, sending it spinning into the other direction. It's about to crash into a building but you shoot an arm out, encasing the semitrailer with chaos magic, righting it and lowering it safely. The driver slashed with cuts and dripping blood stumbles out of the cab, and Tom nods his thanks in your direction.

Suddenly, the building your standing on explodes from a lash of dark energy, you fall backwards, arms flailing as the roof caves in on itself. The chaos magic hums and you magic yourself out onto the street, safe and in one piece next to the pile of rubble that was the building you were standing on. Dust billows into the air and you cough, running away from the rubble.

 Tom's web looms ahead as people climb down it but he's on the street lifting a car off a person, who's bloodied and still. Heart racing you sprint over to him and help drag the person out. It's a young girl no older than 15. Tom's sweaty, covered in dust with a stricken look on his face. You shoot chaos magic over the girl, willing it to heal her. Please, please save her. But you know the minute the chaos magic touches her that there's no life left in her body, it's too late. Your heart plummets and you choke on a sob. Tom's silent, tears streaking down his face, " I was- I was too slow. I couldn't save her," he stammers.

" No Tom, this isn't your fault. It's Dark Phoenixes..." You wipe your face, dirt and tears smearing your cheek.

Tom crouches down next to the girl, and brushes a hand across her forehead, gently wiping her hair away. His face crumples and he collapses to his knees. The sight shatters your heart, anguish tearing through your chest at seeing Tom look so broken. You kneel down next to him, clutching him to you as the roar of the vortex becomes deafening. Rubbish and rubble fly past, screams and thunderous booms echo all around. Tom sobs into your shoulder and you bury your face in his neck, hot tears streaming down your face.

You part, lip quivering as you grab his shoulders, " I'm sorry we couldn't save her. Please know that this isn't on you, this is on Dark Phoenix, Tom. Remember we have to save as many people as we can. We can't stop."