Graduation

The morning breeze brushed through my fur as I ran through the forest. I was a red brown wolf with black paws and blue eyes. I've always been proud of my wolf form, as I haven't seen any other like it in Nightingale Moon, our pack.

I could feel fur brush against me with every stride I took. It was my best friend, Samantha. Today was the day of our graduation, and we had both woken up much too early. We were so excited that we decided a run through the trees would be good for us.

I howled with excitement as we continued running together, causing me to crash right into a tree. Samantha rushed to my side. She looked concerned, but I knew she was also holding back a howl of amusement. I stood up and shook myself off. Other than a sharp pain in my snout, I was fine.

I looked to the sky, then signaled to Samantha for us to turn back. I knew we still had a couple hours before the ceremony, but I didn't want to risk anything. Leading the way home, I thought about how glad I was to finish school. I could finally focus on my Alpha training, and at least try to be as great as my father.

About ten years ago, when I was only eight, Nightingale Moon had an incident with a local werebear pack. It started when one of our wolves was caught on their territory, and it sent them into a rage. My father gave them permission to eliminate the wolf, as he made sure our pack knew not to cross any border but our own. However, that didn't satisfy them. They sent countless messengers to our borders, saying they were planning an attack that would wipe us off the map. They also sent a couple groups of fighters to take out our border patrol. Fed up with it, my father gathered every able bodied fighter we had, and took out every bear they could find, except the children, who were sent to another bear pack. Soon after that, we learned of some traitors who had been feeding the bears information about our patrols, who my father was quick to deal with.

Ever since that incident, I vowed to be one of the strongest Alphas anyone has ever seen. I wanted to make sure everyone knew messing with Nightingale Moon was a bad idea.

I finally made it home and quickly shifted. Samantha had stopped at her place along the way to get ready. I got dressed in my knee length, purple dress, put my wavy brown hair in a neat bun, then grabbed my mother's makeup. I never wore makeup, but I decided now would be the best time to try it. I chose magenta lipstick and black eyeliner.

I left the bathroom and headed to my room. I picked up my phone to see a text from my classmate, Kyle. I rolled my eyes and ignored it, putting the phone back down. Kyle's family had the most money in all the pack, making him think he deserved everything. He always said we were destined to be mates, and that we just haven't gotten the signs yet, but I knew he was wrong.

I went downstairs for a snack before the big event, and found my parents in the kitchen waiting for me. They shouted "Surprise!" and gave me a big plate of bacon and eggs. My favourite.

"It's not a party." I laughed, taking the plate, "But thank you."

My mom wrapped her arms around me, "I know, but it's my baby's big day!"

I playfully grunted as my dad chuckled. I managed to escape her grasp, and started eating. I quickly finished it and cleaned myself up. Looking at the time, I asked if everyone was ready.

As we all got in the car, my mom asked, "So who's the lucky man you're taking to the dance tonight?"

"If I even go, I'm just going with Samantha." I replied, "So I guess that depends on if she has a date."

"What about Kyle?" She asked, "His parents say he talks about you all the time."

I clenched my fist, not liking the thought of him dancing with me, "I'm the only person he even knows exists. He gives nobody else the time of day."