Freedom Isn't Free

Jamie

"Kiss me." Stacey said, leaning closer to me.

Feeling her on my lap made me want to obey her, but I turned my head, "I can't, Stacey."

"Fine." She got off me and picked up her shirt to put it back on, "Get out of my house."

"Hey, you invited me over." I reminded her, standing up, "I thought we agreed on catchin' up as friends."

"I know, I know... I'm sorry." She sighed, following me out, "I guess I just can't control myself around you."

"Wait!" I stopped and sniffed the air, "There's somethin' off."

"There are humans here." She whispered nervously, taking in the scent as well "Lots of them."

Just then, someone jumped out from behind her shack and grabbed her before I had a chance to react. She screamed as he pressed a knife to her throat.

"Where's Henry?" He demanded, "I swear I'll kill her!"

She whimpered, "No, please."

"Take it easy. Nobody has to get hurt." I raised my hands slowly to show I wasn't a threat, "I don't know any Henry."

"Don't lie to me!" He snapped, tightening his grip on Stacey, "I have armed men surrounding this little town of yours."

"I'm right here!" I turned to see Henry slowly walking over with his hands raised, "Let her go and I'll come peacefully."

"Maybe I'll take both of you." The man grinned, "Although this pretty lady would be serving a much different purpose than you."

"Nobody's going anywhere." The Alpha growled, stepping onto the grass stage, "Women and children, inside! Every man, we fight!"

All of the pack's fighters gathered in front of the Alpha, glaring at the man holding Stacey. I had never realized we had so many fighters.

"Do you really want to risk your friend's life like this." He laughed, "You don't even have weapons."

Henry looked at the ready fighters, "I don't want anyone gettin' hurt for me."

The man whistled and immediately, men with hand guns stepped out from behind every structure. They had us fully surrounded. I then heard the Alpha's voice in my head.

"Everyone, do exactly as I say." He must have mind linked everyone out here, "Stacey, act like you're willing to do anything to survive. Make him think he's got the upper hand. Then we will start shifting. That should throw him off long enough for you to overpower him."

"Well, what's it going to be?" The man smirked, "Whatever you choose, I'll win in the end. The only difference will be the amount of bloodshed."

"Please don't hurt me!" Stacey begged, "I'll do whatever you want, sir!"

He chuckled, "Is that right? What about Henry?"

"I'm willing to go if you don't hurt anybody." Henry replied.

"Now!" The Alpha commanded through the mind link.

I could hear bones crunching as everyone started shifting. As I did the same, the man's eyes widened.

"Am I seeing things?" As he stared, dumbfounded, Stacey grabbed the arm holding the knife and twisted it, "Ahh!"

I heard gun shots going off next to the sound of snarling foxes, as the humans shouted confused and scared orders. As Stacey wressled the knife from his hands, I pounced. Knocking him over, I bit down on his neck until he stopped squirming. I felt a couple shots whiz by my head as I turned to find my next target.