Trial

Jamie, one day ago

I woke to the sound of banging on the truck window. The air around me became tense as Stacey was the first to see what was going on. Raising the back of my seat to a sitting position, I saw the truck was surrounded. There were a couple men, accompanied by several snarling wolves.

"Exit the vehicle." One of the men's voice muffled through the closed window.

"What do we do?" Stacey's voice was a slightly shaky whisper.

Gritting my teeth, I looked around to every wolf, "I guess we do as they say."

I could see the men growing impatient with every second we delayed. Opening the door and stepping out, I raised my hands in surrender, "Is there somethin' wrong, gentlemen?"

"Don't play dumb with me!" The same man spat, "You just had to come back and try to steal my wife!"

So this is Kyle, "I don't know what you're talkin' about. I'm just passin' through these parts with my family."

By this point, Stacey was standing next to me with Rose cradled in her arms, "Yes, I'm sorry if we got too close to your territory. This just looked like a sweet little campin' spot."

"I wish I could forget your foul fox stench. Don't think I don't know you were the one who stayed here and stole my mate!" Kyle had his fists clenched as he turned to the other man, "Ian, get them to the dungeon."

With that, he shot one final glare at me before storming off. Ian told us to follow him, and his wolves took positions all around us as we went. Any attempt at escape would be impossible.

Jade, present

Frustrated, I slammed the journal on my bed. We had decided that wandering through the forest, searching for something we had never seen before could take forever. I tried to read through more of the journal so see if there was something more to go off, but I found nothing.

"Don't worry, we'll find it." Samantha placed a hand on my shoulder. She had been trying to come up with some crazy plan, while my mother had been going through old pack files in her room.

"Alpha, we need you. Now." Ian suddenly mind linked me.

"What's wrong?" I immediately stood up.

There was a pause, "There's been a murder. We need you for the trial."

At that news, I raced downstairs and out the door. Running as fast as I could, I quickly made it to the jail. Panting, I headed to the side room, which was sort of a small courtroom. It had a stand for the Alpha, with two tables in front of it, one for the accused, one for the victim.

Kyle was impatiently standing in front of the stand, while Ian was by the accused table, where there was an angry, yet scared looking woman. At the other table sat Reese. There were also two of our strongest fighters on either side of the room, ready to pounce if they had to.

"Alpha, I'm innocent!" The woman pleaded when she noticed me stepping in. I had seen her around the pack a few times, but I never met her.

"Shut up." Ian growled, waiting for the trial to start.

I quickly took my place at the stand, "Let's begin."

"She killed my mate!" Reese spat, pointing a finger at the woman.

"I was framed!" She hissed in return.

"Slow down." I commanded, hiding my shock that Kyle's mother was the victim, "Can I get your name, miss?"

She took a breath, "It's Avery."

"Alright, let's start from the beginning." I turned to Reese, "I want to hear each side of the story seperately."