Falling Faster Than Stars

Jamie

The rain poured down violently as dark clowds covered every inch of the sky. My hair and clothes were basically glued to my skin, while I stepped through the mud.

Most of the surviving foxes were healing well, while a few others didn't make it. Henry was one of them. His wounds refused to stay closed. The nurses tried their best, stitching and keeping pressure on them. By sunset, the day after the attack, he was too weak to even speak. The nurses found him dead the next morning.

That day, a few of the stronger foxes dug graves for everyone. I helped where I could, but I refused to leave my brother's little girl alone in the house for too long. Again, I'm not too good with kids, but he gave his life for her. She was all I had left.

After I had asked Stacey to watch her for a bit, I headed out. Now I was standing at our new graveyard, my brother's body six feet under the ground right in front of me. I was never really one to cry, but seeing the freshly moved dirt, knowing who was under it, I felt my eyes watering. I was then thankful of the downpour, as I could let the tears fall and nobody would know.

"Well, Henry." I murmured, forcing my voice to be steady, "You always said you'd rather die defendin' your pack and family than let old age take you."

I sat down in the dirt, not caring about getting mud all over my pants. Looking up from the grave, I saw a bright flash of lightning in the distance. Moments later, thunder roared through the field.

"I just want to let you know Rose is still alive and well. The past few days have been hard on us, but I'll take care of her as best I can." I looked back down, "I think she knows what's going on, and she misses you."

A hand was placed on my shoulder, and I looked to see Stacey. Rain dripped from her red hair as makeup smeared on her face. She said nothing as she stared at the same patch of dirt.

"Aren't you supposed to be watching Rose?" I worriedly asked.

"She'll be fine." She replied, "I'll only be here a few minutes."

Turning back to the grave, I gave a humorless chuckle, "I think the only time I ever told him 'I love you' was the other day."

"He knew you did." She sniffled, then I realized she was crying.

"Are you alright?" I asked, "I know it's always sad when someone dies, but you two never seemed to get along."

She sat next to me, before taking a shaky breath, "He was my mate."

"What?" I immediately exclaimed, "Rose was his mate."

I heard her try to control her breathing, then she sighed, "As you know, I'm a year older than him. He went out with Rose ever since they started high school. When I turned sixteen, I knew instantly we were mates. I didn't tell him anything, wantin' to let him find out for himself the next year. When the time came, he seemed devostated to have to end it with her, so I told him to stay with her until she found her mate. During that time, I distracted myself tryin' to get with you, waitin' until you were old enough, of course."

I rubbed her back as her words became shaky, "How did I not know any of this?"

"We decided to keep it quiet, just to the three of us." She took a deep breath, "Months turned into years and eventually, he came to me claimin' they were in love. As much as I hated it, I promised to let everyone believe they were mates."

"I'm so sorry, Stacey." I murmured.

She took another shaky breath, "That night of his birthday when we found out Rose was pregnant, I lost it. I spent an hour cryin' in the bathroom before tryin' to get as drunk as possible. Then he pushed you on me. I desperately wanted to be with you, and fight what my fox wanted. When you leaned closer to me, I..."