We'll Steal Tonight

Samantha

A mix of emotions ran through my mind as I stepped inside my house. I was angry enough to kill anyone who tried to mess with Jade, but I felt like crying after seeing her in that bed. On the other hand, being with Destiny, and convincing the others to stay with us cheered me up a bit.

Destiny stepped inside after me, cradling the little bundle that was Rose. Jen and the foxes had gone back to the house to gather some things, but they wanted us to take the little pup for fear they'd get ambushed again.

After greeting our parents, we headed up to my room, where Destiny was quick to start playing peek-a-boo with Rose. I chuckled, letting the moment take my mind off things. Rose started laughing, reaching her small hands out to Destiny. It was strange. Destiny always seemed happiest when she got to play with a baby or child.

Time seemed to fly by as eventually, there was a knock at the door. A moment later, I could hear my mother greeting Jen. I headed to the top of the stairs to show them to a spare room they could stay in. They thanked me, and I went back to my room to let them get settled in. I noticed Rose was now fast asleep, while Destiny was looking out the window. I suddenly realized the sky was starting to turn slightly orange as the sun began to set.

Closing the door behind me, I walked over and placed a hand on Destiny's back, "What's wrong, Des?"

She took a deep breath, refusing to look at me, "Just everything that's going on."

"There's something else." I murmured while gently rubbing her back.

There were a few moments of silence, before she asked, "Have you ever wanted pups of your own?"

I thought for a second, "I never really thought about it. We're both still young."

"You know werewolves usually have their first pup within a few years of becoming adults." She reminded me.

"I guess I just assumed we would never be able to have any." I said quietly.

She lowered her head, "Yeah."

I suddenly felt a strange guilt wash over me for not being able to give her the children she clearly wants. I knew it wasn't my fault her mate was female, but I wished there was something I could do.

"There are other ways we can have pups." I finally told her.

"How?" She asked, "We don't exactly have an orphanage, and I wouldn't feel right getting pregnant with some random werewolf."

I hesitated, "I could do it."

"I couldn't make you do that - wait what's that?" Her voice became panicked as she pointed outside. I looked to see a billow of smoke rising from one of the houses, but I couldn't make out which one.

"Jen lives over there!" I hissed, realizing this must have been their attack.

I ran back out to the stairs so I could yell throughout the house what was going on. I could feel panic in the air as everyone prepared themselves for a counter attack. As we all gathered downstairs, we broke out into an argument about what we should do.

"Let's just leave it." My mother said, "We can get revenge when Beta Ian gives us names of the betrayers."

"This will most likely be a good portion of them." Jen argued.

"We should go." I stated with a growl, "It will send a message to them."

"Then this house will be their next target." Destiny's mother added.

We eventually split into two groups in either side of the room. Both my parents were on the "stay out of it side," including Destiny's mother. I made sure Jamie stayed with them as well, while Stacey chose to come with Destiny, Jen, and I.