Impulsive Decision

A few days went by before I attemped seeing Jamie again. Not taking any risks, I hadn't even looked in the direction of his new house. Eventually, I couldn't take it anymore. I muttered the excuse of wanting to get to know my rescuer better to my parents, and headed to the stream.

He seemed to be doing well in his new pack, making friends with some of his neighbors. I could tell the fake story was being passed around. I was kind of surprised he was able to keep up the facade of hero. Then again, I guess he wasn't fond of the idea of being torn apart by angry wolves.

As I stepped up to his door, I felt arms grab me from behind. Squeaking in surprise, I turned to see Samantha with a huge grin on her face.

"Are you trying to give me a heart attack?" My growl quickly faded into a smile.

"I guess I don't have to, because I know that hottie will." She gestured her head to the front door.

"What are you doing here anyway?" I delayed knocking, "How do you always seem to know where I am?"

"I wanted to meet the lucky guy on my own, but then I saw you heading over." She stepped up and knocked, "So now I need to keep you kids under control."

Rolling my eyes, I lightly slapped her shoulder. The door opened, and Samantha was quick to barge in and introduce herself. After getting over briefly staring at Jamie, I followed them in and closed the door.

"I'm sorry about her." I laughed, "She's like an excited puppy."

Jamie smiled, introducing himself to her, "Can I get either of you anything?"

By this point, Samantha had wrapped him in a tight, friendly hug. As amusing as it was, I couldn't help feeling a pang of jealousy. Quickly shaking it off, I watched as Jamie awkwardly tried to pull away.

"Give him some space, Sammy." I grabbed her arm to gently pull her off.

"Jade, you never told me about that sexy voice!" She squeaked.

"Samantha!" I hissed, "I'm sorry Jamie, and no, we don't need anything."

"It's alright." He laughed, sitting on the couch, "Does she know?"

I sat beside him, "Yes, but I trust her with my life, so I know she won't tell."

She plopped next to me, "Aw, you're so sweet!"

She suddenly pushed me over so that I was leaning completely on Jamie. Feeling sparks shooting up the side of my body, I forced myself to pull away. I desperately wanted to curl up in his arms, but I just shook my head and glared at Samantha.

After muttering a third apology to Jamie, I leaned back on the couch, "Am I going to regret telling you?"

"I would have found out either way." She laughed, turning to him, "So what's your story, cowboy?"

There was a pause as he thought of what to say, while I fought a smile at Samantha's nickname.

"Well as you know, I'm from a fox pack far south of here." He hesitated, "I was exiled a couple months ago, lucky to still be alive."

"What? I though you just moved." I exclaimed, "what happened?"

"There was this girl - every guy wanted her." He explained, "She was in love with me, but I was savin' myself for my mate."

"They exiled you because you didn't like her?" Samantha cut in.

"Not exactly." He replied, "She decided to go cryin' to the Alpha, sayin' I took her virginity without permission."