Change

The next day seemed to arrive in a flash. I had woken up after sleeping almost twenty hours, with my neck feeling like it was on fire. I then almost fell off the bed when I realized Samantha was asleep beside me. Her bed wasn't big enough for two.

"Hmm." She grumbled, wiping her eyes.

"You could have woken me up and told me to sleep somewhere else." I said, sitting up.

"You think I'd tell that to my Alpha?" Her words were slurred with sleep, "Besides, it's no different than the sleep overs we had as kids."

"We were smaller back then." I reminded her, letting out a yawn, "Plus, I liked our forts better."

Letting out a tired chuckle, she added, "I couldn't wake you up after seeing your neck. I remember how I felt when Destiny and I marked."

My hand instantly went up to the burning area, feeling some swelling fading, then muttering, "I was wondering what the fire was."

She immediately sat up, shaking all sleep from her, "You don't remember? He didn't mark you without permission, did he? I swear when I-"

"He got permission." I playfully rolled my eyes as she made a fist, "I just forgot for a moment."

I gently ran my fingers over the skin, trying to trace the symbol to figure out what it was. It felt like the shape of an animal's head, with letters underneath. It took about a minute for me to give up and decide to check in the mirror, but I was interrupted by a voice in my head.

"It's a fox head, with my name written under it." Jamie said. It seemed weird because I knew niether of us had started a mind link. He then chuckled, "The mark let's us read each others thoughts, unless one blocks out the other."

This confused me, as I always assumed it just allowed mates to mind link. That's what I thought Samantha and Destiny were doing any time they communicated. Then I realized that it did seem weird that an Alpha of a pack could mind link any member of it, except their mate until they marked.

"Mates can't mind link at all." Jamie told me.

I then noticed that the whole time, Samantha had been just sitting there with a smile on her face, "What?"

"Jamie reading your mind?" She asked, her smile widening.

"You could have warned me." I muttered, "Why did I never know about this?"

"Ask your mom." She shrugged, "It's not my job to teach my Alpha about mates."

After a few minutes of pretending to be annoyed with her, we headed downstairs, where everyone else was already in the living room. If I didn't know any better, I'd think there was a party going on. Jokes were being told, a couple of them sounded drunk, and a few bottles of wine scattered the table.

"You guys do know it's morning, right?" I asked, squishing myself in between Jamie and my mother on the couch, "And there's a pack meeting starting soon."

"I haven't touched any alcohol." Jamie stated proudly, wrapping an arm around me and pulling me closer.

"We're just celebrating." My mother slightly slurred, faking a pout.

Stacey suddenly appeared from the kitchen, "I just got Rose to sleep. Don't wake her."

I thought she didn't want to take too much responsibility for Rose. I directed the thought to Jamie.

"She still loves her, but she hates the thought that Rose should have been her daughter. We're still going to look for a good home for her." He replied.