In The Face Of Change

It was now the day of the wedding. I was standing out front of Kyle's house where an arch had been set up for our big day. It had pink flowers on vines looping through it, and chairs were being set up all around.

My mother was helping with directing the decorations while my father tried to remember the speech he prepared. Samantha seemed nervous about expressing what emotion she was feeling. It's not every day you get a chance to be a bridesmaid, but she knew I was still wary about this.

"I told you to write your speech down." My mother grunted as she walked back and forth, setting up the chairs.

"I just thought of a new, better one." My father stated proudly.

"Then write it down." She placed the final chair, then turned to go help somebody else.

"Here." Destiny pulled out her phone and sat beside my father, "I can write it in here and you can use it when it's time."

I took that as a cue to leave as not to overhear anything. Samantha followed me as I went to sit at a nearby bench.

"So how do you feel about this?" She asked seriously, "How do you really feel?"

"I'm still angry that I don't have much of a choice." I replied, "But Kyle said he'd be better towards the pack, and I know having someone to help me will be nice."

She leaned back and stared off into the distance, "Does he seem like he'll treat you like a mate should?"

I played with my hands, "He's sweet to me I guess."

Just then, his voice sounded from behind us, "You should be getting ready, love."

I turned to see him standing behind the bench in his tuxedo, "Isn't it bad luck for the bride to see the groom before the wedding?"

"No, it's bad luck for the groom to see the bride in her dress." Samantha corrected me, giving Kyle a look over.

"Just get ready. We don't have time for this." He immediately stormed off.

"I'll get back to you on how I feel." I muttered to Samantha, standing up.

"I normally wouldn't defend him." She started, "But he's probably just stressed."

I headed back to the arch, then inside the house. Grabbing my dress from its bag, I went upstairs to change. The bathroom was bright, spacious, and smelled like lavender. It was nice not needing to change in a small room, bumping into the wall or counter.

Just as I was ready, there was a knock on the door. I opened it to see my father standing there, holding Destiny's phone.

"Are you ready?" He asked.

I hesitated, "My wolf will never be ready to let go of my mate."

"Everyone else is ready." He went on, ignoring my comment, "Let's go."

I followed him back downstairs, and outside. The chairs were already full, and Kyle was standing by the arch with Ian. Wedding music was quietly playing as my father looped my arm through his. We slowly walked down the aisle in between the chairs.

I felt all eyes on me as each step brought me closer to saying those two words to the man I always tried to avoid at school. Time seemed to slow down as I realized exactly what I was about to do. I was going to give my love to someone who wasn't my mate. I was going to give him responsibility over Nightingale Moon. I was going to move on.

I dug a nail into my finger to try and calm myself. Thinking like that wasn't going to get me through this. Smiling, I stepped up to the arch and turned to Kyle. His eyes shone with anticipation as he smiled back at me.